Steering wheel shaking above 50mph

Soldato
I had this on my first car many years ago. It would drive fine up to a certain speed, probably about 50mph then it would do as you described. Once I got to about 60ish, it would be fine again. It turned out the tracking was miles off and it ruined some new (but very cheap 13 inch) tyres in no time.

Associate
Dads mk1 focus had this. No idea how he never noticed - parents for you. It was terrible!

It had a full 4 wheel allignment and wheel balancing which sorted it.

It was so bad that the tyre place said he was lucky not to have buckled a wheel!

Soldato
OP
Solved - mechanic took it for a drive this morning and said he thought a wheel/caliper was sticking as it wasn't coasting very well. Got it up on the ramp and the front-right wheel was indeed pretty tight.

Popped the wheel off and the inside pad was pretty much down to the metal, he thought perhaps the piston was pushing too far because of this and not returning. Inside of the disc is pretty shagged too so it's having new discs & pads, caliper seems to be ok thankfully. He said the build up of heat would cause the disc to warp which was causing the steering wheel shake, and explained why it only happened at certain times above certain speeds.

Back
Top Bottom