Stephen Wilkes - Day to Night

Soldato
Bit of a post and run for this but had anybody seen the bit on the BBC website the other day about this photographer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...tephen-wilkes-shows-day-to-night-in-one-image

Here's his website
http://www.stephenwilkes.com/fine-art/day-to-night/5a7b52f0-29a8-4dcf-aade-19f6ac110004

Incredible images he's captured, well the 1200 - 2200 images to create the one single image!

Made the mistake of taking a look to see how much one of them would cost and the cheapest I've seen them at is £5,500. ranging up to $50,000 :eek:

Caporegime
Interesting but not really my thing, more digital art than photography. The scene he generates is something that never existed in reality at all because it is composed of interesting events in each little piece of the photograph. The watering hole in the Serengeti is a good example, filed with all kinds of animals allover the frame. Looks great, but that never happened. there was an elephant at 8am, a zebra at 11am, lion at 4, distance giraffe at 6pm etc. Gluing all of that together into 1 scene gives an interesting but uncanny image. once you get to this point then why not insert elements form other photographs taken in other locations on other days? I have a few good wildlife photos, and a few good landscapes photos. What I don't have is the best wildlife placed in the scene of the best landscape. The differnce between my amateur and the pro photographers is they have the special wildlife in the special landscape with the magical lighting and the cherry on the cake is that extra bald eagle with a fish rising out of the lake, not just that bull moose under the golden aspen trees with the grand Tetons a fiery red at sunrise. If I could just Photoshop my own collage then does it have the same value as art?

And just to be totally hypercritical i would probably quite like the sunrise to sunset transition within a single image, it is the cutting and pasting of interesting pieces into a college that is 1 stop too far for my personal preference between photography and digital art.

Associate
So does he stay in the same place from morning to night ? Or does he place a marker on the ground and then come back in the evening ? and then join them both together with layers in Photoshop I'm guessing ? I'd like to try this myself looks really nice

Soldato
OP
So does he stay in the same place from morning to night ? Or does he place a marker on the ground and then come back in the evening ? and then join them both together with layers in Photoshop I'm guessing ? I'd like to try this myself looks really nice

I hope this links in properly.

http://www.stephenwilkes.com/fine-art/day-to-night/52fa8aed-0fd8-4f59-9230-47f50af4b6c2

The last 'image' in his day to night series is a video interview where he does say that he's there for the duration. The images he creates are a series of events from during the day and night. There is another video on youtube where he did one of the TED talks.

Caporegime

I believe he stays put and everything in the image is form 1 single day. But, I don't see why he wouldn't just turn up on different days to get different interesting snippets.

Back
Top Bottom