Stereo wiring

Associate
Just fitting a stereo to my Mk3 Golf and having a little problem: I don't seem to be able to locate the ignition power line (i.e. the one that only comes on when the key is turned) - I managed to get it to work by connecting it directly to the battery along with the other power line but I have two questions:

1 - Will I be ok doing this so long as I don't leave the stereo on when the engine is off?

2 - Should my car definitely have this connection? I was doing it with minimal lighting so it may be worth another look....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guv

Guv

Soldato
1) Yes, if it's not drawing power then your battery will be fine.

2) I don't know for sure but every car I've had has had this wire. Did it have a stereo before? If so, did this work with the ignition off?

Guv

Guv

Soldato
It could be that the person that had the car before you changed the wiring so it worked when the ignition was off. Try and trace the wires back as far as you can and see if 1 wire (the always on positive wire from the battery) is split into 2 for the 2 stereo positive wires.

Is there a connector block (possibly ISO or a VW one) or are all the wires loose and you're connecting them up to an ISO connector or whatever?

If it was me I wouldn't spend too much time looking for the other wire and would just remember to turn the stereo off when getting out the car, but it depends what you want.

Back
Top Bottom