Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Soldato
It's being reported all over the place at the moment and is breaking news that Steve Jobs has just resigned as Apple CEO.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-apple-ceo/

Here is the just released letter from Steve Jobs:

PRESS RELEASE: Letter from Steve Jobs

August 24, 2011–To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Apple will now be entering a very interesting period. Hopefully his health is OK.

He will of course I'm sure be a massive influence still but perhaps he is taking a bit of pressure off himself and deal with a bit less stress.

Last edited:
Associate
Not confirmed, but I expect its related as the PR quotes him saying:

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come."

Soldato
OP
Not confirmed, but I expect its related as the PR quotes him saying:

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come."

In the original post ;)

Soldato
:( I'm not fused about Tim Cook becoming CEO at all I'm just worried about his health, this could be a sign of sorting his affairs like some do when they know their time is up. I hope I'm wrong.

Soldato
Nothing much to say except wish the guy well with his health. I don't think Apple have anything to worry about but I expect to see a few people freaking out and overreacting at the news.

Soldato
I posted this in GD's thread before it falls into the usual cesspit of fanboy vs. fanboy. :/

It's such a shame that people can be so disgusting towards a guy, who, has done more than they'll ever do combined. If the Google bosses quit or the MS bosses quit there wouldn't be even a whiff of this type of negativity.

Apple may not have started touch screens or apps but they sure as hell showed the world how to do it on a grand and simple way. Just like the rest that follow, who had to follow, seeing the success Apple had with its iPhone/iOS.

People say they are overpriced, overprotected but they simply work, perhaps too simply for the geeks out there and their modding needs but selling 20m units a quarter tells a story all by itself.

People are writing that he is already dead, and perhaps he is close to that fate but so what, show some respect. Apple have pushed/dragged technology forward a lot faster than it would've been hadn't Apple constantly innovated, anyone who says they don't is clearly small-minded.

It isn't about fanboys yapping at each other, if you lower yourself to that (regardless of which 'team' you support, you're fanboys non the less). It's a about a guy thats achieved a lot in life and helped build the richest company in the world, yet his personal wealth is no where near that of other similar company CEO's / Founders. It's about respect and a thank you for your commitment and vision.

I know he maybe isn't ready to quit, but I'm sure that he'll be content with his life and happy of what he achieved...

Finally, again, even though I sound like he's already dead, I just hope he can enjoy whatever time he has left with his family and friends.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom