Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Associate
I think most tech analysts have seen this coming for some time due to Jobs poor health. The timing may seem out of the blue but there never really is a good time for your talismanic CEO to step down.

Best to do it quickly so as not to allow too much speculation to affect share prices.

Man of Honour
Yeah, bet on physical media. It's the wave of the future.

Bring back the punched cards, or paper tape!

Just supply a pair of ear defenders please. I experimented with a teletype machine once about 20 years ago - heck that thing was noisy. :D

I wish Steve Jobs well. As for Apple, they'll be fine, though I didn't know Tim Cook was until I checked, and that might be part of what spooked the market. Just as long as he's not another Steve Ballmer (Bill Gates' replacement at Microsoft, in case you don't know). I think we can only cope with one of him! :D

Soldato
I wish Steve Jobs all the best too as I imagine this will be health related over anything else :(

Never a good time to step down but this won't really hit the share prices that hard. It was probably one of the better times to do so with the close release of the iPhone 4s/5 soon the share prices will probably jump right back up.

Caporegime
No, but it is very much the technology of the present. I like digital distribution, but it is not a replacement for a Blu-ray. Not yet.

Apple has always been aggressive about getting rid of soon to be legacy hardware. Parallel, serial, PS/2, floppy drives... This will be the same in due course.

Associate
Of course. But Blu-ray is far from legacy. They're doing it because of iTunes, which is also far away from offering Blu-ray quality

Permabanned
Some horrible photos on the TMZ site of Steve looking very ill.

The problem seems to be that when you have a liver transplant after cancer you are put on immune system suppressant drugs so you don't reject the liver. Problem with that is without an immune system the moment the cancer returns then it just goes rampant. Nothing to keep it in check. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Soldato
Important to remember they have the whole 'Apple University' thing which drills into all the employees the core principles behind the company (and what makes it successful), so they probably churn out a lot of creative types who look at things the way Jobs does (i.e. that Google logo's 'o' is the wrong shade of yellow!). Obviously it's hard to replace someone with the same vision, but he's had plenty of time to write down and pass on all his ideas for the future, avenues he'd like to explore and obviously he's still on the board. Should be fine with or without him.

Look forward to reading his authorised biography.

Associate
They've got the timing right imo, he resigns and the shares take a hit, iPhone 5 comes out and back up they go.

It is a shame though as whilst I dont know him Jobs does seem to be a good guy.

Soldato
They've got the timing right imo, he resigns and the shares take a hit, iPhone 5 comes out and back up they go.

It is a shame though as whilst I dont know him Jobs does seem to be a good guy.

It happened to Microsoft, in 1999 they were worth £600b at their peak (almost twice that of Apple today). When Bill Gates stepped down the shares dropped 60% and never really recovered, with Vista taking so long and then failing. Steve Jobs quitting before a successful product release can only be a good thing for Apple.

MW

Associate
I'm surprised by all the references to Jobs being a "good guy" and a "nice guy".

I'm a card carrying Apple fanboy, and as such, Steve Jobs is akin to Jesus for me, but I thought it was widely known that he's generally a bit of an *******?

Associate
like you lot i hope he is on the fix, but if anyone has a illness you should stop working and reduce your stress levels.. Gd luck to him anyway and hope he is ok.

Back
Top Bottom