Stick with Sky Fibre or Switch to Another Provider?

Associate
I currently have the 38 Mb unlimited fibre package with Sky, and the contract is up. If I go to the cancellation section on the Sky website, they offer me a £28.99/month retention deal to stick with them for another 12 months.

I've had zero issues with them for the five / six years I've been using them (not a single disconnect), but I'm wondering about looking at other options such as TalkTalk this time around, who have the 76 Mb unlimited package for a few quid more at £31.50/month all in. Plus, I'd be able to claim £95 cashback which effectively brings the monthly cost down by a fiver over the 18 month contract. So, it would be a little cheaper and—in theory—twice as quick. Alternatively, I could go for the 38 Mb package at £26.50/month with the same cashback, making it significantly cheaper.

What are your thoughts? Maybe there's another provider you'd consider in this situation?

Thanks

Associate
Theres a better deal to be had here BigToe. 4 weeks ago I got half price line rental, and half price fibre, so less than £20 for the same package. I went through online chat to achieve this and told them others got this deal, no qualms from them.

Associate
OP
Theres a better deal to be had here BigToe. 4 weeks ago I got half price line rental, and half price fibre, so less than £20 for the same package. I went through online chat to achieve this and told them others got this deal, no qualms from them.

Sounds good to me! I'll give that a go.

Man of Honour
Never had any congestion issues with Sky, doesn't mean there aren't any though.
Sorry, I misread your post (I blame Monday morning). I presumes BigToe was some new FTTC providor, rather than you referencing the OP's username. Doh! :D

Soldato
Definitely push for a better deal with Sky, we're paying £11 a month for the same 40Mb unlimited fibre package. We're paying £36 for the basic TV package, line rental and fibre.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I just left them for Virgin, cancelling via their website so I didn't have to speak to anyone.

Even the website offers you a £10 retention deal!

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Do you have Sky TV?

Associate
I do, but they operate as separate departments now when negotiating so my TV wasn't taken into consideration.

Associate
But just to clarify my package I pay £27.99 month for Basic Sky TV Package (Original), Fibre & Line Rental on a 12 month contract. Actually the TV package is a rolling monthly contract for £9 month over 12 months when it will go back up, but can cancel when I like.

Associate
OP
Look at PlusNet

It looks like I can get the 76 Mb PlusNet package for £29.99/month fully inclusive, plus £85 cashback. With the £25 activation fee this works out at £24.99/month over 12 months; not bad. Is it a good quality service? Have you experienced any traffic throttling or shaping? I use torrents and do a fair bit of streaming over various services including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Spotify, and of course YouTube.

Man of Honour
It looks like I can get the 76 Mb PlusNet package for £29.99/month fully inclusive, plus £85 cashback. With the £25 activation fee this works out at £24.99/month over 12 months; not bad. Is it a good quality service? Have you experienced any traffic throttling or shaping? I use torrents and do a fair bit of streaming over various services including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Spotify, and of course YouTube.
PlusNet has been as good as Zen which I had previously. I use Prime, Netflix, download usenet etc and never notice any slow down. I also believe the traffic management (which IME is actually good, think of it as carrier grade QOS) is being or has been turned off.

Associate
I do, but they operate as separate departments now when negotiating so my TV wasn't taken into consideration.

I recently threaten to leave, have full Sky Package (Movies, Sport etc), Multi-room and Sky Fibre 40mb unlimited. Online chat advisor dealt with it all in one go. I pay £10 a month for the BB and £9.49 for line rental. Thats for full 12 months.

Soldato
They only really traffic shape P2P traffic. There is minor traffic shaping on other things but not that any one would notice as in gaming, streaming and general web surfing. But every provider does this anyway to manage the bandwidth during peak times.

Back
Top Bottom