Stickier than a sticky thing

Associate
So after a looong time of not playing games i decided to get back into some war thunder. Got the old joystick our the cupboard to find it was really sticky. Nothing i do will get it off. Is it the rubber breaking down or what? Anyone had this and found a way to clean it?

Last edited:
Associate
I had this with my Microsoft Sidewinder, tried the IPA without much success. I was rubbing it as I hadn't disassembled the joystick at this stage. After disassembly I found washing up liquid did a good job.

Associate
This is common with "soft touch" rubber coatings. So much so that I prefer to buy things with a plain plastic finish, because it lasts longer. Others have already mentioned that there are ways to remove it.

Associate
I've had a mouse and a TV flicker with the soft coating on it which went sticky after being stored away, both were able to be cleaned with IPA, but it's really removed the coating back to the plastic once clean.

Soldato
I had some headphones which the headband covering started to perish so I got some of that automotive fabric tape used for wrapping cable bundles and repaired it with that. I imagine the same could be used to cover over sticky grips on a joystick. It would basically add a "fuzz" side to the grip which will not get sticky ever, as long as it stays on.

Associate
I had some headphones which the headband covering started to perish so I got some of that automotive fabric tape used for wrapping cable bundles and repaired it with that. I imagine the same could be used to cover over sticky grips on a joystick. It would basically add a "fuzz" side to the grip which will not get sticky ever, as long as it stays on.
Sounds like you are talking about a PET fleece tape (e.g. Tesa 51606), there are also PET cloth tapes if you wanted to try to avoid the fuzzy feeling (e.g. Tesa 51026) though neither of those are normally in contact with skin for long times so not sure how much they'll change in-hand feeling longer term.

Also imagine a tennis racket grip might work well, particularly on warm days.

Back
Top Bottom