Still cannot decide on what to buy

Soldato
You don't really even need a cable if you've got good WiFi. I got a Quest 2 and have been using Virtual Desktop (£15) which works perfectly. Also a really cheap pair of in ear headphones works brilliantly and only costs about £10.

Soldato
Imo having to "change" how you play a game to accomadate the tracking does mean the tracking is not ideal
Other windows MR sets were awful in that respect and in that sense G2 is a massive.improvement.

I can't argue with anything you are saying, obviously what games you are playing and how you play them is going to have an effect, but if you have adapted to one set of controllers to play a particular game then changing to a different set of controllers is going to influence the perception of the new controllers, I guess what I'm saying is; I've had to "change" how I play a game to accommodate every new controller, to me that just seems to be the nature of the different controllers, none of them have been perfect for me, the headset itself is far more influential to my satisfaction and the G2 image, clarity, latency and comfort are all far better for me on the G2, enough that I can completely ignore any minor difference in controllers

obviously different people are going to weight things differently, the only way you are going to know whats best for you is to try both

Soldato
The way I read the OP, there's been a concerted attempt at "man maths", with the aim of justifying the G2.

So get the G2.

Or be more reasonable/sensible with the estimated cost of the Quest 2, and accept that it's hundreds of pounds cheaper:

Headset: £299
Replacement strap: £20
Link cable (if using for Sim stuff): £30
Virtual Desktop (if using for Room scale) : £15

Total: £334-£349

It's worth trying the headset without additional headphones. The build-in speakers might not be a problem. And if they are, you certainly don't need to spend anything like £100 to equal the G2 or Index in the sound department. You could reuse headphones you already own, or buy some dedicated clip-on ones for <£30.

You may also want to replace other bits of the Quest. But it's better to just try it out and change things as needed.

Associate
Think it's fairly obvious to me that, all things considered including cost, the Quest 2 is the probably the best headset currently on the market.

BUT, only if you're happy to be dragged further into the Facebook ecosystem, and having a LOT of your data stored and used to more closely target you with ads and so forth.

I can't believe Facebook/Oculus are making any money on these headsets - the true retail cost must be a lot more. They are exceptionally priced, but bear in mind you pay for it by giving up more of your data and information. If you're happy with that exchange, it's a great product.

Soldato
I can't believe Facebook/Oculus are making any money on these headsets - the true retail cost must be a lot more. They are exceptionally priced, but bear in mind you pay for it by giving up more of your data and information. If you're happy with that exchange, it's a great product.

I don't like Facebook at all, but I've got a Quest 2. Google probably knows far more about me than Facebook, due to me using an Android phone.

Soldato
I don't like Facebook at all, but I've got a Quest 2. Google probably knows far more about me than Facebook, due to me using an Android phone.

Quite simply, pretty much anyone online, has already sacrificed so much privacy, that a little more hardly seems an issue. And in the end, that sacrifice is to allow for better targeted ads. And on the rare occasions I'm paying attention to ads, I click on them because they're offering something I'm actually interested in, so can't complain. I'll then check and see if I can get it elsewhere for less anyway, or preferred retailers etc.

Soldato
Quite simply, pretty much anyone online, has already sacrificed so much privacy, that a little more hardly seems an issue.

Well i don't have a facebook account anyway, no phone, no social media beyond posting tech related opinion on VR/games over forums. Outlier perhaps, and i don't think in over 23 years of the internet i've ever clicked on a single referral as amazing as that sounds.

The little bit more might be nothing for a lot of people, but when you purposely avoid the whole system. You can see why people will actively avoid the facebook VR platform, if only for that reason.

I'm happy that it exists because it's a great entry in to VR for a lot of people (i bought one for my nephew) Aside from seeing as technically inferior device to what i currently own anyway, and something that would be non sensical given my VR usage, i spose the primary reason would be tying one in to my life story were i forced to have an account

Enjoying VR the way i do, it's become a obsession with craving the best available, thankfully the quest isn't that in it's current form.

Soldato
Well i don't have a facebook account anyway, no phone, no social media beyond posting tech related opinion on VR/games over forums. Outlier perhaps, and i don't think in over 23 years of the internet i've ever clicked on a single referral as amazing as that sounds.

The little bit more might be nothing for a lot of people, but when you purposely avoid the whole system, you can see why people will actively avoid the facebook VR platform, if only for that reason.

I'm happy that it exists because it's a great entry in to VR for a lot of people (i bought one for my nephew) Aside from seeing as technically inferior device to what i currently own anyway, and something that would be non sensical given my VR usage, i spose the primary reason would be tying on in to my life story were i forced to have an account

Enjoying VR the way i do, it's become a obsession with craving the best available, thankfully the quest isn't that in it's current form.

Oh it's certainly possible. VPN, using browsers not underpinned by chrome or microsoft, linux as opposed to windows of course, avoiding major search engines, certainly avoiding a gmail login etc. Posting on forums is going to give away a little, but not too much. But yes, I think you're definitely an outlier, which would likely be more common on tech forums than anywhere else.

I think a lot of people who think they're being careful, have little idea of just how much information is given away so easily. I'm certainly more on the side of "So what?" in the vast majority of cases, my little life is not that interesting to many people, beyond trying to sell me things, but then they're more interested in selling me something than maliciously harming me.

Soldato
I'm certainly more on the side of "So what?"

We agree, unfortunately there are those that might care regardless of how we see it. While it's very unlikely any potential employer of mine would care on how i spend my free time, given the soloist nature of my work. If however an employer wanted a team player, communication with others being essential to the position, i wouldn't fancy them having a gander at my steam usage which would show me as an utter recluse these days. If i had a facebook account where my recreational time was front and centre showing my heavy use of VR, pretty convinced they'd choose the other guy hypothetically speaking.

It might sound like i go actively out of my way to avoid all of malaise of the online/social media world. More the truth of it is that when you've never been a part of it, why would you want to join when you see how it's easily twisted and manipulated against people.

Back
Top Bottom