Storm Chasing?

Man of Honour
Has anyone here been to the US and done some Storm chasing? I think I may have asked this question in the distant past, but I really fancy a week chasing storms and I know this sort of thing can be done. Anyone had a go and was it ace or just wet, windy and expensive?

Caporegime
I have this picture of the movie Into the Storm where there are these professional Storm chasers with all their gear doing it, then there is Housey in his tour bus driving pass and the tour guide gets overly confident, next thing you know a cow flies across the windscreen and then your bus starts flying.

Caporegime
I'd love to try it, but I'm the type of person who always wants to push things beyond the realms of safety just for that extra buzz. I'd probably do something like this:

9dz6uD0.gif.png

:o:cool:

Caporegime
You would probably have to go to the mid west for at least 2 weeks in tornado season to have a good chance at seeing a decent storm. Not something I'd do if you mean getting really close, that professional and his son on stormchasers were killed by a tornado.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't like the idea of 15 seater tour buses. Too 'touristy' for me. Would much prefer to go in one of them purpose built tornado proof vans loaded with technology that some use.

I would do it right with some people with satellite dishes, the fit 25 year old schientician and a purpose built van. I would NEVER do anything that involves a tour bus or someone with a microphone up front. I know this is possible as 2 people I know did it and 1 got lucky and 1 got wet. It is a dice roll but I would find a plan B just in case.

Soldato
I would love to do this to. Thanks (or maybe not) to business travel with a previous employer i've spent some time in the mid west. When speaking to locals, there is an arc from arkansas in the south to iowa in the north that is considered tornado alley. These places are boring fat hick dull towns, so be prepared to spend time arguing about whether "she aint fat" or the pronunciation of the letter z if there is no storm action. Also the motorbike riders don't wear helmets - which is frankly ridiculous.

Peronsally i'd look for a tour in high season (june to aug iirc) run by east coasters.

To be fair the us weather channels and websites are brilliant though.

I did look up doing this last year for my birthday and it's about 4k a head all in for 2 weeks.

Good luck! Pics are mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom