Strange 1080Ti Issue

Associate
Picked up a brand new ECGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition from OC at the start of last week and have been running into an issue ever since.
System specs (all brand new):

Ryzen 2700x
16bg Team Group Ddr4 3200
Asus Strix Gaming F X470
Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVME

Basically any game I play which utilises 100% GPU load will freeze the display (audio still continues) forcing me to close via task manager. Ive logged numerous games with GPU-Z and the common denominator is the game will hang as soon as the GPU hits 100%.

Event Viewer then either shows an error related to nvlddlmk and/or "application was blocked from accessing the graphics hardware".

Ive tried numerous NVIDIA drivers using DDU, 3 fresh installs of Win 10, Motherboard BIOS updates none of which has worked.

The only workaround that seems stable at the minute is to down clock the GPU core -25mhz in MSI Afterburner.

Anyone got any ideas before I RMA the card?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thats my suspicion too. Driver conflict was my first thought until I "cured" it by down clocking.
RMA has been issued, so hopefully have it sorted shortly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Do you mean at stock clocks or at its current -25mhz state?

At stock, adjusting the power limit/core voltage has no effect. The card still crashes to desktop at 100% load. (Havent touched the voltages/power limit with the downclock).
The PSU is a Corsair TX750. PSU is the only item that isnt new (approaching 2 years old now). But was previously powering my heavily overclocked 1700x/1080Ti Auros setup a couple of months ago with no issues at all.

Associate
OP
Just had a play around with Afterburner.
Set the core voltage to 100% and the power limit to 135% with the -25mhz downclock.

Loaded up Two Point Hospital which was always a guaranteed crash at stock within the first few minutes. Solid as a rock.

Looking at my log file from GPU-Z, the previous crashes at 100% load the core voltage was 1.0310v.
The log just now peaked at 99% usage with a core voltage of 1.0750v with no crash. I reckon that rules out a power issue?
I think Ive just been very unlucky in the silicone lottery and got a card that doesnt like stock settings.

Associate
OP
Update on this in case anyone has a similar issue in future.

Card eventually made its way back to Overclockers today despite DPDs best attempts to lose it :D
Tested, found to be faulty and a replacement on its way.

Excellent customer service as usual.

Back
Top Bottom