• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

strange 7950gx2 problem

Associate
i have a very strange problem where i can not overclock my system (cpu\fsb) with my gx2 in place. i mean not even 1 mhz!!
i've had my system stable at more than 3.6ghz for weeks with my old 7800gt but once the gx2 goes in, it's stock or nothing.
the strange part is that when i put my 7800gt back in it's fine. i can overclock all i like again.

i know the card is fine as a) it works and b) it will sit in my mates overclocked pc (more or less the same spec as mine) no trouble.
i obviously haven't damaged anything during overclocking as it's fine with a 7800gt in.

i did think it could be to do with the motherboard not wanting to run the pci-e in 8x-2x mode rather than 16x-1x but others here have got the same setup and don't have this issue.

i'm out of ideas, you guys got any?

main system spec:
e6600 conroe
gigabyte ds3
2gig geil pc6400 ram
seasonic 430w psu

Last edited:
Associate
OP
it had crossed my mind.

although my thinking was that as it runs stock no problems with good rail figures, the fact that i ask 1mhz above stock would make no difference to the power draw.

it's always the same point at which it crashes. it detects the cpu frequency at POST, does a memory test and resets.
mobo is running the latest F5 bios although it also did this with the previous F4 one.

Associate
OP
ok, this is getting silly now.

i've replaced my PSU with one that has a little more behind it, a corsair 620w'er so that can not be the problem.

it still happens though. change any clocking settings and it will not get past POST!!!!

HELP!!

Back
Top Bottom