Strange artifacts in VR Elite

Associate
I play Elite Dangerous in Oculus Rift.

Recently I've been getting a lot of artifacts appearing briefly - often squares or circles or sometime just flashes.

Any guesses as to whether this is my graphics card starting to fail, or the Rift, or something else altogether?

Windows 7, i5 3570K (overclocked to 4.2GHz), AMD RX 480 4GB (not overclocked).

I've been considering upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 1080, but it's a massive investment and I don't want to do that if it's going to suffer the same problems.

Haven't noticed the problem in other games, but apart from Elite I only really play Beat Saber, and only occasionally.

Soldato
It might be heat related, leave the side of your case open and see do you still get glitches.

If you do try downloading a benchmarking demo like Heaven or 3dmark and running it and see do you have the same problems.

Associate
In Elite when you're docked in a space station you'l probably find things have dropped to no more than 45 fps ... and out of the box ASW (Async Space Warp) would then kick in. In Elite that looks a bit weird on the menus, you may see ASW artifacting in the menus in particular, where lines briefly become wobbled.

Squares or circles though ... no idea. As melmac says, that could be heat related ... try other software to see how that behaves.

Back
Top Bottom