• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Strange Blue Artifacts

Associate
Hi guys,

This is pretty long winded so try to bare with me.

The Problem:

For the past few weeks sometimes when I boot my computer and log into windows there is a strange blue artifacting, almost like sand. Restarting the computer or even changing my resolution seemed to fix it, however lately it's happening a lot more often, multiple times a day. It mainly affects windows rather than applications and I can almost force it to happen by loading a game then alt tabbing enough times for it to happen. The same is true for getting rid of the artifacts, if I alt tab enough they go away. I think there may be a problem with the resolution as a guess? I have a 4k TV as a monitor but I run everything in 1920x1080 and use 150% scaling in Windows. Here is a video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V4fwwR5r00

Just a side note - is the GPU usage dropping down to 0% an issue?

What I have tried:

I've gone through most troubleshooting steps I could think of:

• Updating Windows from 1809 > 1903, still persists, if anything it happens more often
  • Updating video card drivers from 19.3 > 19.5 > 19.6, each time using DDU in safemode and not connected to the internet. However once the drivers finish installing the final confirmation screen has a green overlay which disappears upon restart
  • Ran SFC /Scannow, no issues found
  • Updated NetFramework and Visual
  • Safe mode, I am unable to recreate the problem in Safe mode by changing the resolution, however I am yet to try a game in it
  • Benchmarks/Games - I can play most games on max with no issues, but once I alt tab the issues start. I have ran Heaven, 3DMark, Kombustor, I am unable to find any artifacts in there
  • GPUMemTest - Result are fine
  • Different Cable/Ports I have tried a different HDMI cable in different slots on both the card and the TV, problem remains.
  • Reseating
What I have not tried:

• Different Monitor/System, I only have and have access to one monitor and one computer, I'm unable to test with anything else
  • Reinstalling Windows, I'd rather see what you guys think before I try this.
Specs:

• Gigabyte H110M S2H
  • i5 6500
  • RX580 8GB
  • 2x8GB DDR4
  • 2TB HDD
  • 128GB SSD
  • EVGA 600w White
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • Toshiba 55T6863DB
The system is around three years old except for the GPU which is two years old, I have never overclocked. I'm really not an expert and I hope this isn't the case but this points to a faulty GPU in my opinion. The fact that the artifacts are waiting for me once I log into Windows when there is no stress or high temperatures, however it seems to function fine until I install the drivers and the fact that I can play games for hours, for example Hitman 2 on almost max in DX12 with no issues but as soon as I alt tab it begins in Windows is a complete mystery. I hope you guys can give me some insight and help me fix this issue.

Thanks,
FunsOver.

Soldato
Hi guys,

This is pretty long winded so try to bare with me.

The Problem:

For the past few weeks sometimes when I boot my computer and log into windows there is a strange blue artifacting, almost like sand. Restarting the computer or even changing my resolution seemed to fix it, however lately it's happening a lot more often, multiple times a day. It mainly affects windows rather than applications and I can almost force it to happen by loading a game then alt tabbing enough times for it to happen. The same is true for getting rid of the artifacts, if I alt tab enough they go away. I think there may be a problem with the resolution as a guess? I have a 4k TV as a monitor but I run everything in 1920x1080 and use 150% scaling in Windows. Here is a video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V4fwwR5r00

Just a side note - is the GPU usage dropping down to 0% an issue?

What I have tried:

I've gone through most troubleshooting steps I could think of:

• Updating Windows from 1809 > 1903, still persists, if anything it happens more often
  • Updating video card drivers from 19.3 > 19.5 > 19.6, each time using DDU in safemode and not connected to the internet. However once the drivers finish installing the final confirmation screen has a green overlay which disappears upon restart
  • Ran SFC /Scannow, no issues found
  • Updated NetFramework and Visual
  • Safe mode, I am unable to recreate the problem in Safe mode by changing the resolution, however I am yet to try a game in it
  • Benchmarks/Games - I can play most games on max with no issues, but once I alt tab the issues start. I have ran Heaven, 3DMark, Kombustor, I am unable to find any artifacts in there
  • GPUMemTest - Result are fine
  • Different Cable/Ports I have tried a different HDMI cable in different slots on both the card and the TV, problem remains.
  • Reseating
What I have not tried:

• Different Monitor/System, I only have and have access to one monitor and one computer, I'm unable to test with anything else
  • Reinstalling Windows, I'd rather see what you guys think before I try this.
Specs:

• Gigabyte H110M S2H
  • i5 6500
  • RX580 8GB
  • 2x8GB DDR4
  • 2TB HDD
  • 128GB SSD
  • EVGA 600w White
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • Toshiba 55T6863DB
The system is around three years old except for the GPU which is two years old, I have never overclocked. I'm really not an expert and I hope this isn't the case but this points to a faulty GPU in my opinion. The fact that the artifacts are waiting for me once I log into Windows when there is no stress or high temperatures, however it seems to function fine until I install the drivers and the fact that I can play games for hours, for example Hitman 2 on almost max in DX12 with no issues but as soon as I alt tab it begins in Windows is a complete mystery. I hope you guys can give me some insight and help me fix this issue.

Thanks,
FunsOver.

If you have a TV could you plug the PC into that? Could you take a screenshot and post it on here?

Associate
OP
Hi ltron,

I am actually using my TV as a monitor, I could ask a friend if they have a smaller one I could use to test if you think the TV could be at fault?

UPDATE:

Managed to get a 2nd TV to test on, the results can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYogRetHDU

The short of it is:

• Artifacts on main TV
  • Plug into a different TV
  • Artifacts gone
  • Plug back into main TV
  • Artifacts are now gone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom