• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Strange E5200 temps

Associate
I have just upgraded to an E5200 which I have got overclocked to 3.6GHz at 1.2V.
My idle temps according to real temp are 50 degrees which seems far too high. I tried reseating the heatsink which had no effect and I get about the same idle temp if I lower the clock to 3GHz.
Load temps are about 66 degrees running intel burn test. This doesn't sound too bad at 3.6GHz from what I've read.
Do the temps sound right? Could my old P965 motherboard be a problem reading temps from a 45nm chip?

RJC

RJC

Don
What cooler are you using, 66c ~ load seems ok to me.
There could be a possibility of faulty / sticky sensors, I have E8600 which has stuck sensors.

Associate
OP
Yeh one sensor is definitely stuck as it has never been below 50 but I have seen the other one get as low as 44 degrees when I fist boot up and its cold in the room. I'm using an arctic cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Associate
OP
Speedstep is off because I read it helps make the overclock more stable but I will try it out and see if I can drop the temps.

Man of Honour
Stuck sensors. My E5200 and E8500 both have the same problem. They will move once loaded though. Funnily enough, both my motherboard monitoring software (Gigabyte Easy Tune 5 and DFI Smart Guardian) seem to be able to read the cpu idle temp correctly. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom