Strange graphics error

Associate
Well it first started when my sister tried to play the sims 2: university.

She was getting all these funny lines around the screen and textures going all wrong. So I just tol her to restart.....same error. Installed latest ATi drivers.....still the same.

Then she tried Google earth as Sims wasn't working. That had the same error too!

Piccy here

Although, the strange thing i noticed, when I was remote desktopping (i can't be bothered to walk the 3 metre's to the pc), i started up google earth yet didn't get any errors.

Checked the display properties and it said "default monitor on" without displaying the GFX card (Tis a radeon 9000).

Reformatted the pc tonight. SAME ERROR?! The same thing also happens when I RDC.

I'm thinking it CAN'T be the GFX card coz the screen looks perfectly fine normally with no errors doing anything else. I can't imagine what other component of the PC it could be either.

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
MeatLoaf said:
It looks like a problem with the gfx card. Download 3dmark 05 or 06 and see if you get problems in that also.

Well I thought it was a problem with the GFX card as well. If it was, when I RDC, shouldn't the same problems occurr when i start google earth?

Anyway, installed aquamark as its small and quick to install.

Come up with this......

Piccy [600K]

As I expected, the same error.

Associate
OP
Well I really wouldn't think it was over-heating. After running the Sims with the funny errors, i touched the heatsink on it.

Cold as anything. It even has a PCI fan blower next to it to help it!

It may be on its way out and dying but TBH if it was, wouldn't I see the same error when i start GE while RDCing?

Associate
OP
Well thats what I first thought!!!

I dismissed it when I RDC'd and the error wasn't there. I thought it was the card but changed my mind as when i RDC its fine!!

Thats the main question I want answering :p Why is it fine when RDCing?

Back
Top Bottom