Strange pc problem... help needed

Associate
Hello I have a strange problem on my pc
Pc will not boot with gfx inserted... no display no lights on keyboard or mouse..

But if I take out gfx card and use on board intel gfx the pc will work fine... I can then shut down pc, plug gfx card back in and the pc will boot with the card in...

So every time i start Pc I need to take out and card ...start up and shut down...then put card back in! Very annoying

I’ve tried fresh windows install
Reset bios and motherboard
Updated drivers
And used my old gtx780 ... samething happening.

Any ideas please what’s wrong?

Associate
OP
Yes I’ve tried using a different PCI-E slot
Something happens in all slots...

System specs are:
Intel core i7 4790
Gigabyte Z97X-gaming 3 intel Z97 DDR3 Atx
Superflower golden green hx 650W 80plus gold
Team Group Vulcan 8gb ddr3 2400MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1080

Associate
Have you recently updated anything on the PC? motherboard BIOS, graphics card firmware, new hardware?

I would try removing all hardware that is not required to turn the PC on and see if the issue still occurs.

Associate
OP
Yes cleared Cmos
And bios settings for display

With the gfx card inserted now it will try to boot up on a loop and shut down then start back every 10 secs ...

No beeps don’t know if this motherboard has a speaker

I’m starting to think it’s a motherboard problem... but don’t want to replace if not faulty..

Again only way to start Pc is to take out gfx card out and use on board intel display...then shutdown system...pop gfx card back in..
then it will boot fine with the card ...

Soldato
Could be that load added by separate graphics card is too much for PSU in cold boot.
After making name for themselves with use of quality capacitors in Golden Green, Super Flower went into scam mode and "upgraded" it with third tier CrapXon capacitors in that H(oa)X "edition".
While those capacitors are literally in super bad place, between 12V rectifier heatsink and DC-DC board without any airflow which could cool them:
https://www.tech-review.de/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=16422&page=4
Like if to make sure they get cooked up!
Similar to how Samsung once timed monitors and TVs to break down.

Ironically while higher temperature always wears down capacitors faster, those failed capacitors might just barely work after having warmed up.
Hence why "warm" boot could work with extra load of graphics card.

While also motherboard could have some capacitors in bad shape, graphics card has entirely own VRMs.

BIOS/RTC battery getting old might be possibly other thing.
But anyway would have myself replaced such designed to fail PSU at least year ago.

Bitfenix Formula is good starting level:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-formula-series-650w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-ca-22z-bx.html
For semi-modular cabling there's this Antec:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ante...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24n-an.html
And then for fully modular (and 10 year warranty) this Seasonic:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05q-ss.html

Higher 80+ Platinum efficiency costs some more.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05u-ss.html
And absolute top costs luxury.

Soldato
Motherboards dont have speakers, they have pins that you can attach a little speaker to.
With the gfx card inserted now it will try to boot up on a loop and shut down then start back every 10 secs ...

When it does this, unplug the computer when it is in the 'off' part of the boot loop.... while unplugged hold down the power button for 10 seconds... then plug it back in and hit the power button.

Associate
OP
im going to buy a new psu... will the following fit into my case ok?

Corsair RM750x 80 PLUS Gold, 750 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Unit - Black

my case is..
corsair obsidian 650D Gaming Windowed midi tower case black (CC650DW)

Associate
OP
New update...

So before I clicked the button to buy a new PSU
I stripped out the 1000w psu from my 14 year old Alienware Pc ....which I know is working...

Connected Mobo drives ect...

Didn’t put plug in gtx 1080

Monitor plugged into onboard

So the pc starts .. motherboard lights up but no display and no lights on keyboard or mouse..

Starting to think motherboard is *^%ed

Any ideas please...

Also popped a new motherboard battery in...

Associate
OP
Hopefully I can get something working...
Have ...
2 psu-650w and 1000w

2 cards-gtx 780 and gtx 1080
Gigabyte z97x gaming 3 with i7 4790 and old EVGA Alienware one with q6600

All fans working atm
Crorsair hydro h60 v2 running
Lights on Mobo
Just no display or keyboard/ mouse

Associate
OP
Could do with a few ideas...Lol

Got Pc parts everywhere.....misses loves it

Also if I plug in graphics card the white led next to power connection is lit
What does that mean...?

Associate
the bane of hobbyist pc builders ....trying to suss out which piece is faulty when something goes wrong! this is where you need spare parts to narrow down whats wrong

Back
Top Bottom