Strange problem with one PC on Wifi network.

Associate
We have been having a major speed problem with my rig, on our WiFi network, I'm getting about 10% of the speed of the other pc's/phones on the network.

Now I feel like I've tried everything to boost my speed, Ive scanned for spyware, viruses, Malware etc etc, and have Norton 360 and Malwarebytes constantly defending since this happened.

I have also removed all temp files, cleaned up both HDD's and a defrag is next (hasn't been long since last one though).

What else could this be?

We had the technicians in when this first happened, and all they did was give us one of the new virgin superhub wifi modems, but although things have slightly improved (signal doesnt drop out quite as much), im still on 10% speed.

Any help would be most appreciated, its been liek 3-4 weeks since i played crysis online :O (And done uni work at home, obviously....lol)

Associate
OP
Mods please delete this duplicate, my connection is really slow so i copied and pasted as the connection dropped out again!

Soldato
I have the same issues slow speed since upgrading to my new desktop

Got an ASUS P8P67 mobo.

I was wondering if there are any settings that can be applied in BIOS for this I've also updated the drivers. I'm beginning to wonder if it's simply a card/mobo issue (compatability) did you recently get that PC chris?

Associate
OP
It's worked for a year fine but suddenly all is not well.

I did think it could be super hub issues but My sister is running on normal laptop wifi further away than my desktop and she's at full speed.

Also, I've tried drivers for pretty much everything wifi or Internet related and I've reverted settings fir these to see if any changes may have upset this. I feel like I've almost exhausted all my options :(

Soldato
Wireless speakers will cause issues, also change the channel the wireless.

Try a different wireless adapter in the machine

Associate
OP
I will try a new adaptor but it's last resort, I'm pci ATM and I forked out for a better one

I've just worked out I can trick it into working ok by doing a troubleshoot, however after one web
page or about a second of speedtest it's back to normal. Sort of like something's blocking the performance of my connection rather than a hardware issue? Do virgin restrict speeds after a certain amount of users in a household? If this is a recent change at virgin this would tie in nicely lol

Associate
OP
New symptoms now....

Ran a network cable up directly plugged into both the superhub and the PC. Tried another PCI card (same model) and it still wont work on wireless but will work plugged in.

Im thinking a software problem, but so far cant find anything that works :( Maybe my PCi slot isnt working properly? Any way i could test for this?

Associate
It sounds like poor signal to me, either something blocking it or interfering. Anything change around the time of the issue starting - New wireless phones, replaced a door, moved some furniture around etc?

To rule it out, have you tried placing a laptop next to the desktop and trying the tests on it? Also, as edscdk suggested, try setting the wifi channel to something else?

Associate
OP
My phone connects with full quoted speed next to the PC, so the problem is with the adaptor. My TP link card has 3 year warranty, so to rule out the chance of me having two duff cards (the other was quite cheap tbh), Im going to contact them.

Thanks for all your advice as always guys.

Associate
OP
Right bought a new netgear wireless adapter last month (n600), and it started working perfectly, just as it had when i replaced with another pci card. Another month down the line, and this adapter is gone as well, with the exact same symptoms.

Seems whatever is happening is causing my pc to annihilate my adaptors and I am now completely out of ideas :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
Do you have the option of putting the wireless adaptor in another desktop machine? I don't see how it can be killing the cards, I would guess some kind of conflit is happening - no idea what though. Either way, confirming the card is damaged would be the first step if you can.

Soldato
Get rid of Norton 360, seriously. Malwarebytes doesn't protect continuously unless you have the paid for version, which is pointless also.

Go to Start > Run > MSConfig > Disable everything in start-up tab.
Restart

Is it any faster?
Yes - Enable things one by one until you find the culprit.
No - Update all your drivers

Associate
OP
Update.

We use a MAC list to secure our network, and as a purely troubleshooting measure, we disabled it and just stuck with WPA etc.

Seems to have sorted all problems with all PC's, but as it doesnt make sense It may just be a temporary fix like all the others.

Not bothered about the PCI card being replaced though, was right next to the GPU (im on mATX), and now its running like 10 degrees cooler and on a higher clock ;)

Associate
OP
Get rid of Norton 360, seriously. Malwarebytes doesn't protect continuously unless you have the paid for version, which is pointless also.

Go to Start > Run > MSConfig > Disable everything in start-up tab.
Restart

Is it any faster?
Yes - Enable things one by one until you find the culprit.
No - Update all your drivers

Why get rid of 360?

Never had a problem before?

And btw I am not being funny I genuinely want to know why lol

Back
Top Bottom