Streaming from PC.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
This thread actually prompted me to see if I could make any improvements. Seems there's now a companion server app for Moonlight called Sunshine, which works with AMD GPUs, so I installed it and finally got a chance to test it tonight.

Wow. It's significantly better quality than the Steam Link app. Not quite as straightforward and idiot proof to set up, took me about an hour of fiddling with settings to get it (mostly) working how I want it, but on a 65" TV @ ~3m away, there is no noticeable compression artifacting at all.

The only thing I did notice was a few FPS drops, but can probably tweak that as well (had it set to max quality).

*Need to check if HDR works properly - have to figure out how to enable it on my fake display first!
Why wouldn’t you use a hdmi cable if only 3m away?

Soldato
I do this every now and then from my desktop to my Steam Deck via Moonlight + Sunshine (and previously with a phone + controller), when a game I want to play either doesn't work in Linux or I want better performance/quality. With the desktop on ethernet and using Unifi APs I haven't noticed any problems at all. It's great if you don't want to sit at the desk and just want to relax somewhere else in the home.

Soldato
I need to look into this at some point. I'd like to be able to play casual PC games on the TV in the lounge with a controller, but currently, if I want to do that I have to take my computer downstairs which is hassle!

Soldato
if you have steam may be try that way first, if you have a 2nd machine spare.
i'd like to look at Moonlight + Sunshine for streaming a spesific game at the moment and see if its any better than steam streaming

Soldato
I need to look into this at some point. I'd like to be able to play casual PC games on the TV in the lounge with a controller, but currently, if I want to do that I have to take my computer downstairs which is hassle!

I use a 2017 Nvidia Shield, but a lot of TVs now can install the steam link app. The Shield is nice because it has native support for a lot of different controllers, not sure if that's the same for TVs?

Associate
I was thinking of streaming as well, it be useful to stream on my TV. Just in 2 minds whether to get a 4080 super or waiting for a 50 series

Soldato
I've just been looking into this. Sunshine sounds interesting as I have my all AMD PC upstairs and wanted to stream casual stuff to the TV downstairs. How do you get around Bluetooth controllers connecting?

Soldato
usually the bluetooth controlelrs are connected to the local PC i.e. living room PC and the information is streamed to the upstairs PC.

i connect a wired controller to a laptop and then stream from a 7010 to the laptop, it works pretty well all things said and done.

Soldato
Does anyone exclusively use their desktop in this fashion? I can't really decide if it's a large waste of money having a desktop pc with a 5800x3d and a 4080 in it exclusively use via streaming software, mostly it does give a "I forgot I was even streaming" experience but still. Maybe it's the new way, allows desktop to be crammed in a discrete corner somewhere far far away, the RGB definitely is a waste of money in this case.
Not exclusively, but very regularly.

I think about 60-70% of my gaming is now streamed from my PC to my TV's, or tv's at one of my parents, or to various laptops.
I use Steam for everything as I like the UX.

Mostly stream to my TV with an NV Shield Pro, followed by my other TV in bedroom with a Chromecast 4k w googleTv.
Also at my mums she has a cheap ISP provided ''amigo'' android box, which works fine for 1080p streams.
At my dads usually my old laptop there.
Sometimes at work from home and from work as well (5700XT)...

Mostly for controller gaming on my tv's, as working in IT developed a dislike for desk sitting on working days mostly, but I also try to make ''desk-free'' weekend days... But I use so many digital devices (4 laptops, 2 desktops, and various tablets and mobile phones), I hate carrying stuff so have lappy's scattered everywhere around where I want a computer, hell I used to play God of War with a dualsense in my bathroom on my Ipad while pooping :).

1080p streaming works fine over wifi usually, but I have a good wifi infrastructure at my home, with 2x wifi 6 AP's and 1 wifi 5 AP in various ''corners''. The 2160p streaming is handled exclusively over cabled ethernet on the shield (I play mostly at 1080p on the chromecast w google TV (4k version) as I think it's decent enough but gives less latency and performance issues).
Funny thing is that with just 30 mbit upload, 1080p gaming over the internet is fine as well (getting fiber tomorrow cheapest 100/100 for now as I got used to 100/30, but I can actually ask for 8gbit if I wanted, which would be a waste with my 1gbit lan). I remember playing witcher just fine streaming over just a 30 mbit upload. Yes it's not as responsive perhaps but who cares...

I mostly play RPG's, racing games, Hack and slashers, Roguelikes (Hades), stardew valley, some old gameboy games, some ps2 games (1080p is with AA and AF is a bliss compared to my ps2 controle which just looks like someone stabs you in the eyes now at its native res, especially on a 75'' tv).

Back
Top Bottom