Strength and Volume Question

Associate
Hi All,

I've been training at the gym for a while now and recently i have been following a new 12 week program.

What i have been noticing is that my muscles can lift heavy on the first set, but generally after the first set my strength falls away very quickly.

Example would be incline dumbell press, the program calls for 3 sets of 12.

On the first set i can do 24kg each arm and just about manage to finish the set of 12 reps.

Then i rest for 60-90 seconds.

When i start the second set, i can only get to 3 or 4 reps with 24kg each arm, then if i try 20kg i can only manage 2 or 3 reps then i have to fall all the way down to 14 kg and by now my arms are burning (specifically tricep area) and i can barely do 2 or 3 reps.

I've been following this program for 10 weeks now and i haven't seen any noticeable improvement in my strength lasting beyond the first set. My actual first set weight has increased from 18 to 24 kg - so i have gotten stronger.

It is just that my strength fades fast and my muscles burn when i get into the 2nd and 3rd sets.

I have always suffered form this problem and its frustrating.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Associate
2 things you could think about is either taking the workout back to basics starting at say 16Kg and go and finish all 3 sets. Building up slowly week on week depending on how you perform. Or increase the rest period.

Soldato
This really should be posted in the Main Sports arena forum and not in the Workout Logs sub forum.

The very basics of this sound very much like you are working at a weight that is to heavy for you. You need to work at a weight that you are able to complete for your full allotment of reps and sets.

You are fatiguing because you are hitting the limit of what you can do on your first set. Drop the weight until you find a weight that you can complete all your work out.

Progress up in weight when you can comfortably complete the allotted rep count and sets.

Another point could be poor diet, not replenishing energy stores ahead of workouts.

Soldato
As others have said, a 12 rep set isn't your 12RM - you want that last set to be the hard one, not the first. What you have to remember with using dumbbells is that jumping up to the next set of DBs is usually both a bigger jump than what could be loaded on a barbell, so it's pertinent to work within a rep range like 8-12 and once you can get 3x12 aiming for 3x8 with the next weight up and then building from there.

Lowering the weight to stay in a rep range is a perfectly viable strategy but you should never be so destroyed from the first set that you can't get anywhere near the minimum reps.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - i always thought that each set of 12 reps, the last rep should be really difficult - i never thought about it as a culmination of 36 reps.

I'll try lowering the weight and see what the results are over a number of weeks - lowering the weight is going to make the 1st set of reps really easy, but the aim will be to do all 3 sets of 12 at the same weight - even if the first / second sets are not that tough.

Apologies if this was the wrong forum - maybe i will create my own training log for this :)

Soldato
Good on you for asking the question and learning though - lot of people are too shy and then lose interest when the progress stops. As others have said, is sick it down to 16 - 18kg and start again at 3x12. If you complete your 3 sets of 12, move the weight up to the next set of dumbbells.

Associate
Where did you get you new 12week plan? The reason I ask is that the fitness industry is unregulated. Anyone can go an pay money to become a level 2/3 personal trainer and then hand out "Generic" weights plans that are found online and when compared to bespoke plans are rubbish.

I can speak from experience and been in a similar position. So I sought advise from a very well know PT an old school friend. I paid a bit of money for a bespoke plan. This helped me greatly and I noticed results in about 6 weeks. After 12 weeks I really noticed size differences in muscles and not just strength

Soldato
In my opinion, you were mugged off with a "bespoke" plan. You have to be a reasonably advanced lifter, having worked with your coach for a reasonable amount of time before any plan can be bespoked to your body. By that I mean enough time working with you to understand your goals, your motor patterns, weaknesses and strengths, etc etc.

Anyone that gives you a "bespoke" plan having not spent 6 weeks training you is simply given you a generic plan with your name at the top.

Back
Top Bottom