• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Struggling to decide on video card for new conroe system

Caporegime
Ok I game at 1440x900 on my Hanns-G widescreen and I'm looking for a video card that will comfortably run something like Flight Sim X with full detail. I also play Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2, KotOR: Sith Lords, Age of Empires III, etc...

I'd like full candy and reasonable frame rates for these games and hopefully some in the future also. Gaming is the only reason I need a decent video card, don't do video editing etc. I have a DVI monitor but a second VGA monitor so should preferably be compatible with VGA adaptors.

What do you suggest? Many thanks in advance.

Ok

I want to spend 10 pence.
;)

Surely cards that can just about run these games maxed out are going to be in a fairly specific price range?

sr4470 - thanks for the suggestion. Are there any other options to consider or does this one take the mid-range market at the mo?

Robbie G said:
Ok

;)

Surely cards that can just about run these games maxed out are going to be in a fairly specific price range?

sr4470 - thanks for the suggestion. Are there any other options to consider or does this one take the mid-range market at the mo?

I think anything above it would be overkill for that resolution. Its about the best card you can get for ~£130.

Robbie G said:
Ok

;)

It was a perfectly simple question to ask.No need to be funny. :rolleyes:

It all depends on how much you have to spend.

Simple.

The x1800 256mb will struggle in parts in cod 2 at that res with max detail.
The x1900 xt will not.

There is fifty quid between the two.Also you should buy the fastest card you can afford that will be able to play future titles.

so with no budget to offer your thread is pointless.

Get it?

easyrider said:
The guy was trying to be smart and funny and shot imself in the foot.

He was trying to be clever and it just fell flat on its face.lol :p

And you're belittling him why? For having a sense of humour? Or being honest? Does this mean I can post a snide comment your way for repeating yourself in the same post? Charming. :)

Just a question, OP: are you really hoping to run FSX on the system in your sig? You'll need an AGP card if you aren't updating the rest of your system, so the duty will probably fall to something like a 7600GT or thereabouts.

Will you be able to max everything out on that monitor? Not sure, neither am I convinced. You'll probably need to spend a bit more, circa £190-odd to go up a level in performance for FSX. The other games won't tax a 7600GT at all.

mrthingyx said:
And you're belittling him why? For having a sense of humour? Or being honest? Does this mean I can post a snide comment your way for repeating yourself in the same post? Charming. :).

No I'm not,

I offered advice and asked him what budget he had.

Thats all.
Just a question, OP: are you really hoping to run FSX on the system in your sig? You'll need an AGP card if you aren't updating the rest of your system, so the duty will probably fall to something like a 7600GT or thereabouts.:).

No its for his new conroe system like he states in the tread title.

Will you be able to max everything out on that monitor? Not sure, neither am I convinced. You'll probably need to spend a bit more, circa £190-odd to go up a level in performance for FSX. The other games won't tax a 7600GT at all.

A 7600 GT will struggle at that res in COD 2 on max settings.

easyrider said:
The guy was trying to be smart and funny and shot imself in the foot.

He was trying to be clever and it just fell flat on its face.lol :p

Jesus christ, how seriously do you take light-hearted posts? The guy was obviously joking, get a sense of humour Spock the one you have obviously doesn't do the job.

To the OP, try and stretch to an X1900XT, you really won't regret it. :)

Sorry, with the some of the posts here I could not resist:

yawn.jpg

Richdog said:
Jesus christ, how seriously do you take light-hearted posts? The guy was obviously joking, get a sense of humour Spock the one you have obviously doesn't do the job.

To the OP, try and stretch to an X1900XT, you really won't regret it. :)

The fact is it wasn't funny lol :p

yep get an X1900Xt - yes it wont get stressed at that res but nearly everything else will in parts, and some may not cope at all so if you can afford the £160 or so inc vat for one of these cards I heartily recommend them

Back
Top Bottom