• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

struggling to decide what to do for eyefinity set up

Associate
Hi guys,,

just after some advice, just in the process of getting a eyefinity set up working, picked up a nice new corsair 1050w psu from OC today, and struggling with what to do about my GPU's

i currently have a sapphire 7950 oc edition and not sure what to do about 2nd gpu, another 7950 seems good bang for buck or go for a 7970.

im just worrying that for games that dont utilize crossfire that im going to struggle using the 7950.

im playing a lot of world of tanks at the moment and i dont think that it works with crossfire.

was also looking at the 6gb vapor x version of the 7970 as a single card solution?

any advice from people running eyefinity would be apreciated because its a total mine field for me at the minute

thanks in advance

Soldato
7950 is only 5% slower than a 7970 at the same clock speeds.

No game gets close to actually runnin out of VRAM with 3GB cards.

Will link you my results compared to a 680 SLI set up results... I would try it on a single card first though before you commit. You may not like triple screen. I think it's fantastic but don't really have the time to play much at the mo so I've downgraded. :)

Associate
OP
im hoping i like it, i have wanted it for sooo long! im just worried the 7950 wont cope to well!

looking at your results 2x 7950 is more impressive than i thought it would be, im not really up to date on how everything works exactly and just trying to learn, i was just worried that some games wont utilise 2nd card and ill struggle for decent frame rates off 1 x7950. if only 5% diffrence im glad i didnt spend all the extra money on a 7970 though, and think i will go for 7950 if i do go for cf.

is there a thread for overclocking 7950 for idiots on here lol? i did a search and couldnt find one. my card is running gpu clock of 900mhz and mem clock of 1250mhz

Soldato
There's a MSI afterburner thread I think. A forum search should bring it up.

Try voltage of 1.14V, core clock of 1100 and memory clock of 1500. This should be stable or close to it on any 7950. Then just try gaming or run a loop or two of Heaven to test for stability. You can fine tune the voltage if you want but that shouldn't be close to being hot at those settings so might be easier to just leave it.

Nice bump in performance too :).

One 7950 will struggle on maximum settings but dropping to medium in the demanding games will allow you to gauge if triple screen is for you before committing to a second card as and when required.

Last edited:
Soldato
In my experience there are very few games that won't use the second card, and for me, they have all been older games where I don't need the second card at all.

In your situation, I'd go for a second 7950. Absolutely do not bother with the 6GB version of the cards - it's not needed.

Rusty has good advice. It's worth getting the monitors set up first before you commit to a second card to see if you like it.

Back
Top Bottom