Struggling to include something in my CV

Soldato
Well I've got a CV and I think it's properly laid out I put some time into it.

In the holidays I did a voluntary placement at The Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. I'm hoping employers would like to hear someone has done voluntary work and hope it increases my potential to get a job? The only problem is I'm trying to fit this placement into my CV but I'm struggling to come up with much to describe it.

All I've got is:

Yorkshire Wildlife Trust – summer 2009
A voluntary placement, assisting in the organisation and running of events around the Selby area
Would that be ok for a CV? Seems abit short to me.

Would the text below which describes what we do at the events, would some of that be good to include into a CV? I'm struggling to think how to include it.

The events since it was sort of working with kids we had badge making, crab hats, colouring in, then we had magazines and registration forms if people wanted to register, we also had to try and get some people to fill out a questionnaire to see if people enjoyed the events in order for the trust to continue to get funding from the lottery. We did quizzes and generally wanted to promote the trust about what we do and want people to know about the reserves and realise that allot of animals are endangered and that the trust needs help, more volunteers and membership.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Will.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well maybe add the fact it involved working with Children. Perhaps along the lines of:

A voluntary placement, assisting in the organisation and running of craft events for young children around the Selby area

Associate
Well maybe add the fact it involved working with Children. Perhaps along the lines of:

A voluntary placement, assisting in the organisation and running of craft events for young children around the Selby area

This +
A voluntary placement, assisting in the promotion of the organisation, conducting some public relations exercises and the running of craft events for young children around the Selby area.

Associate
This +
A voluntary placement, assisting in the promotion of the organisation, conducting some public relations exercises and the running of craft events for young children around the Selby area.

I wouldnt say 'some public relation events' i would just drop the some as it makes it sound as if you helped in one event and are trying to make it sound like more.

Soldato
This +

Don't use "some" it's passive. Either you have or you have not.

Soldato
OP
I've got another problem now.

Here is my work experience section in my CV:

[FONT=&quot]Work Experience[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yorkshire Wildlife Trust –[/FONT][FONT=&quot] summer 2009[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A voluntary placement, assisting in the promotion of the organisation, conduction public relations exercises and the running of craft events for young children around the Selby area. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cleaner[/FONT][FONT=&quot] summer 2008[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our duties were to fully clean various properties such as newly finished and occupied homes to the highest standards. Work was done solo and demonstrated the ability to work to a high standard alone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]York College IT Help Desk[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring 2008[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Work experience placement. My responsibilities include responding to queries from staff, students or visitors, solving IT related problems for students and answering calls when needed. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]D&R Smith Motors[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Summer 2004[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Work experience placement. By observing the mechanics and working with them I was able to develop skills servicing cars and replacing parts, as well as valeting cars and cleaning. General duties included cleaning the showroom and the workshop. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I'm wanting to go start looking for a job ASAP, but I'm not feeling confident about work experience area of my CV.

I've not have a "propor" job before, but I'm still hoping I can still get a job.

The Yorkshire wildlife Trust, as said, was voluntary, it's classed as on going, it's a scheme that lasts for a year, so when I am in the summer holidays next year or say at christmas, if I got a job, but was able to get some time of then, I'd go home and do some voluntery work with the wildlife trust, now I'm unsure what this means for getting a job? Do I not say anything or tell them more about it at an interview?

The cleaner was literally 3 days in the summer of 2008, I learnt allot about cleaning, but maybe I should remove it from it only being 3 days.

The last 2, York College and D&R Smith Motors are work experience placements, York college was 1 week, D&R Smith motors was 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom