Struggling to sort Boot drive

Associate
Hi all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My original boot SSD was full (only 50gb) so wanted to upgrade for more storage. I purchased a 500GB SSD. I used a 3rd party app to clone the disk partitions onto my new SSD, which it did.

I then thought it would be as simple as swapping the original SSD out for the new one, but when I booted I got the message 'Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key'. I also had a 500gb HDD attached, but that's always been attached.

I've entered BIOS and tried reordering the boot priority to no luck, and so I'm a bit stumped to what I'm doing wrong?

If anyone has any ideas, that would be really useful!

Thanks

Associate
OP
If it changes anything, when it's booting I get 'No physical Disk'. Which again is strange as when I enter BIOS and look at Boot Priority, the SSD is there?

Don
If it changes anything, when it's booting I get 'No physical Disk'. Which again is strange as when I enter BIOS and look at Boot Priority, the SSD is there?

Are you connecting it to the SATA port where the original SSD was?
(As it can be that sometimes different SATA ports are on different SATA controller chips, and Windows may not be expecting the change)

Associate
OP
Are you connecting it to the SATA port where the original SSD was?
(As it can be that sometimes different SATA ports are on different SATA controller chips, and Windows may not be expecting the change)
Yeah using the same SATA port. Literally no idea what's going wrong. When I enter BIOS, I can see the SSD, I make sure to place Windows Boot at 1 and then my SSD at two in priority (although have also tried it in reverse). But I still get nothing. When its initialising, it searches for SSD and doesn't bring anything up, it just reads 'no physical disk' which is really strange?

Don
Yeah using the same SATA port. Literally no idea what's going wrong. When I enter BIOS, I can see the SSD, I make sure to place Windows Boot at 1 and then my SSD at two in priority (although have also tried it in reverse). But I still get nothing. When its initialising, it searches for SSD and doesn't bring anything up, it just reads 'no physical disk' which is really strange?

Have you tried using Macrium's fix boot option mentioned above

Associate
OP
Have you tried using Macrium's fix boot option mentioned above
Yes, just tried this. It seemed to be along the right lines, and I got that it had built a windows boot menu succesfully. But then when I shut down, and remove the original ssd and try booting up, I double check in BIOS that the boot priority is correct, and then get the same message again Reboot and Select proper boot device!

Don
Yes, just tried this. It seemed to be along the right lines, and I got that it had built a windows boot menu succesfully. But then when I shut down, and remove the original ssd and try booting up, I double check in BIOS that the boot priority is correct, and then get the same message again Reboot and Select proper boot device!

Boot from a macrium reflect usb drive with the old drive removed and then run the boot repair

Associate
OP
Boot from a macrium reflect usb drive with the old drive removed and then run the boot repair
Just tried this now. Managed to get the windows loaded up on the usb and went through the Fix windows boot menus. The only box available to tick was rebuild BCD, did that and just as itu looked to start I got 'Restart your computer?' so I clicked yes and it just booted back to the same window, so second time I clicked no and it just did nothing? If i remove the USB I just get the originaly Reboot and select window?

Associate
OP
Have tried this several times today. However, whenever I remove the USB and try to boot straight from my new SSD again, I simply get the Reboot and Select Proper Boot device. Checked Bios and definitely the correct boot priority.

Back
Top Bottom