Struggling to sort Boot drive

Associate
OP
Do a fresh install of Windows.

So a couple of other things that might help anyone with more knowledge. I reconnected my original SSD and tried another cloning using Macrium. This time I left XML ticked, and when I got to the end I received the error 'MapAndValidateXML Failed'. Not sure if that means anything? Also, from browsing forums, I've spotted people saying you can't clone in UEFI? I have [UEFI] in the title bar, could this also be causing a problem?

Man of Honour
So a couple of other things that might help anyone with more knowledge. I reconnected my original SSD and tried another cloning using Macrium. This time I left XML ticked, and when I got to the end I received the error 'MapAndValidateXML Failed'. Not sure if that means anything? Also, from browsing forums, I've spotted people saying you can't clone in UEFI? I have [UEFI] in the title bar, could this also be causing a problem?
It may be something on your old drive conflicting, when cloning works its great.

Sometimes it's just best to a fresh install of Windows .

Associate
OP
It may be something on your old drive conflicting, when cloning works its great.

Sometimes it's just best to a fresh install of Windows .

Okay so I've just done this on your recommendations and something strange has happened that might have a simple explanation. So I downloaded my fresh install onto USB, had just my new SSD connected. Installed Windows, but obviously where I had cloned before I still had my other data on this hard drive. So complete the install, and when I reboot I come to a screen which asks me to choose an operating system with Windows 10 (Volume 5), Windows 10 (Volume 3) and Macrium System Recovery. So if I click on Volume 5 I get the fresh install with nothing in there, my storage has two local disks, my new SSD and then my old SSD. If I boot in Volume 3, I get my old system, completely how it was but on my new SSD. However, in storage it still has my old SSD size and is completely full (which is what I wanted to change). So I'm a bit unsure what to do from here if I'm honest? Any suggestions? I'd love to keep all of the stuff from my old drive, just with more storage capacity, but I don't want to have to choose a partition every time I boot up?

Man of Honour
Okay so I've just done this on your recommendations and something strange has happened that might have a simple explanation. So I downloaded my fresh install onto USB, had just my new SSD connected. Installed Windows, but obviously where I had cloned before I still had my other data on this hard drive. So complete the install, and when I reboot I come to a screen which asks me to choose an operating system with Windows 10 (Volume 5), Windows 10 (Volume 3) and Macrium System Recovery. So if I click on Volume 5 I get the fresh install with nothing in there, my storage has two local disks, my new SSD and then my old SSD. If I boot in Volume 3, I get my old system, completely how it was but on my new SSD. However, in storage it still has my old SSD size and is completely full (which is what I wanted to change). So I'm a bit unsure what to do from here if I'm honest? Any suggestions? I'd love to keep all of the stuff from my old drive, just with more storage capacity, but I don't want to have to choose a partition every time I boot up?
You should have deleted all particions on your new drive to make one volume then formatted it then installi windows.

Add your old drive after but make sure first boot order is the new drive .

Associate
OP
Okay, I might wipe the new SSD completely and then restart from the beginning. Is there a best way to completely wipe an SSD? Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom