Struggling with SPF setup can anyone shed some light?

Associate
Got issues with Gmail emails being blocked from being sent from domain for not having an SPF record.

The domain is registered with 123reg and the email accounts are through them, but the domain is hosted at IONOS (1&1)

Should it all be done on IONOS or 123reg or both? and I’m not sure how to enter the correct fields for the SPF TXT,

Thanks if anyone can help

Associate
SPF records are to declare which servers may send email from the domain.

You say your email accounts are with 123reg, so presumably their servers will be a source of emails from your domain, so you will need to reference 123reg servers in your SPF record.

When you say
the domain is hosted at IONOS (1&1)

what is hosted? If something there may send emails "from" your domain, you might also need to include IONOS's SPF record.

According to this:

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/domains/how-do-i-add-an-spf-record-to-my-domain-name/

The record for 123reg's sending servers record will depend on the "generation" of your mailboxes.

This:

https://www.ionos.co.uk/help/domain...ds/using-ionos-spf-to-improve-email-delivery/

gives the IONOS record at the bottom of the page.

You only need to include the provider(s) that actually sends emails from your domain, but if it might be both you'll need to create a combined record with both of the include: statements (there's a bunch of SPF record creators online if you're not sure how). You should only create one record, but it needs to reference all the possible sending servers.

Once you've confirmed all the potential legitimate servers that may send emails from your domain you need to turn to whichever provider runs your DNS servers to add the record. Usually that will be your registrar (so 123reg), unless you've made other arangements.

The 123reg page says you need to move your DNS servers to them to add an SPF record. That doesn't make sense - if you have your DNS elsewhere, then just add the required record using the DNS host's management interface.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, the website is hosted at IONOS. spoke to IONOS support and they said I will need to get the SPF TXT added to 123reg first by putting the nameservers back to them so the site will be offline then redo nameservers when SPF TXT has been added then IONOS say I will also have to add an SPF TXT on the IONOS site / Seems a bit of a head spin especially as the person who holds the domain on 123reg isn't overly good with this stuff so I'm going to have to do a walk through for them also they don't seem keen on having the website offline so just wanted to check this is the correct way to do this or some other way Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply, the website is hosted at IONOS. spoke to IONOS support and they said I will need to get the SPF TXT added to 123reg first by putting the nameservers back to them so the site will be offline then redo nameservers when SPF TXT has been added then IONOS say I will also have to add an SPF TXT on the IONOS site / Seems a bit of a head spin especially as the person who holds the domain on 123reg isn't overly good with this stuff so I'm going to have to do a walk through for them also they don't seem keen on having the website offline so just wanted to check this is the correct way to do this or some other way Thanks
Sounds to me like it's all setup wrong. I can't see why there would be any downtime?

Back
Top Bottom