Stuck in a rut

Transmission breaker
Don
Do something in the evenings during the week?
It helps break up the week, and means you get to meet peeps and stretch out a bit.

Did you play any sports other than golf, in your earlier life?

Associate
Im not saying life is bad.

Moving to a different area or country isnt an option Ive just bought my first house moving isnt really practical also again Im not going to just ditch the dog.

I was kinda hoping for some ideas or suggestions to shake things up a bit rather than the response of stop being a whiny little bitch but i guess i was expecting too much.

In all seriousness though, if you are living alone then you need to be out amongst friends a few times a week at least. I've found just gaming doesn't cut it (and I live with my GF). If you can get them out for an occasion now and again that will help - drinks, bowling, cinema whatever they are into really.

You say you've joined a gym, but it hasn't opened yet? When it does, take part in some classes. You should meet people there and get some interaction. As it's scheduled it would be something to look forward to.

And yeah, post here more, get involved in some craic. Even if it just a small thing it might help break up the monotony you feel you are in.

Associate
You need to plan your weekends more - I wouldn't even include "housework" to a list unless it was anything of significance (decorating etc).

It sounds like you're bored because you don't have the motivation to think of exciting things / projects to get on with that would give you some sort of self purpose?

go running
play an instrument
build something
join a club (hobby / sport / whatever) garanteed way to meet people

Permabanned
If you're into tech, see if there's a hacker space near you. If you're into football, see if there's a supporters club near you. If you're into more traditional working with your hands stuff, see if there's a men's shed community near you. If you absolutely, positively want some excitement in your life, see if there's a boxing club near you (because nothing gets you buzzing like the adrenaline rush of getting punched in the face) or a skydiving club. Jesus. You can do whatever you want.

Soldato
Im not saying life is bad.

Moving to a different area or country isnt an option Ive just bought my first house moving isnt really practical also again Im not going to just ditch the dog.

I was kinda hoping for some ideas or suggestions to shake things up a bit rather than the response of stop being a whiny little bitch but i guess i was expecting too much.

Alright then:

Speed-dating
Karate
Join a sports team
Make a bucket list
Change jobs
Start brewing your own beer
Retrain as a beauty therapist
Have a sex change and enter Miss World

Honestly the list is massive, you can do whatever you want. Sounds to me your problem is a lack of motivation. If that's the case you need to help yourself really.

I found that buying my house led to a few months of feeling like this, for me it was the period where I was finding my feet financially with the new outgoings, once that was under control I started looking at what I could do.

Soldato
Get some hobbies, and some friends too maybe?

Maybe a pasty to smash, who knows.

Last night I went down the pub then had some of the guys round to watch some films. Tonight I'm going to see a girl I know and try and have my evil little way of her. Saturday I've got a bike ride, dinner with friends and a gig to go to.

But Sunday? Sunday I bake.

Soldato
Learn a martial art

Get bike licence

Get Motorbike

Grow beard if beard is not present

Make beard ginger

Become next gen Chuck Norris and ride around on motorbike helping the innocent

Caporegime
If you think life has to be more exciting than what it is then make it happen or you really don't want it to.

The problem for most is social media, they see all these people doing great things and think that's their life 24/7 when the fact is outside of celebs/rich people it definitely isn't. Yeah you can travel the world for a year show all the great photos but you come back to the same life as most.

Grow a beard, smash pasty.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty much everyone feels like this at 30 (so I've heard :p )

Save up some cash, take flying lessons. I had my first one recently and it's just the best thing ever; I felt awesome for days afterwards :D

Look on the bright side: You are 30, own your own house and have little commitments - Many are envious.

Soldato
The grass always seems greener i guess.
But you are still young, have your own time to spare/kill without having to devote it to others, with the exception of your dog (i hope you don't begrudge your dog for it).

Look at randomshenans daily routine. Sounds like hell. BUT.....i've been there and done that and i and i'll bet rs wouldn't change it ;)
However if you do feel like "christ, maybe i haven't got it so bad after all" then be thankful that as others have said you have freedom do whatever you want.
I'm sure if you wanted to do something that doesn't involve the pooch then you could get a babysitter or whatever.

I get the groundhog day feeling on occasion......but it passes.

Soldato
The grass always seems greener i guess.
But you are still young, have your own time to spare/kill without having to devote it to others, with the exception of your dog (i hope you don't begrudge your dog for it).

Look at randomshenans daily routine. Sounds like hell. BUT.....i've been there and done that and i and i'll bet rs wouldn't change it ;)
However if you do feel like "christ, maybe i haven't got it so bad after all" then be thankful that as others have said you have freedom do whatever you want.
I'm sure if you wanted to do something that doesn't involve the pooch then you could get a babysitter or whatever.

I get the groundhog day feeling on occasion......but it passes.

I get that too. Some weeks can be a mission. This week has been tough, but I wouldn't change it. I then make the most of the weekends too, well my wife does, but I could just sit and waste the weekend and "relax" but then I'd miss out.

Permabanned
I am 30, similar life style, don't see myself as stuck in a rut. Its all a matter of perspective. I was fortunate enough to reach a very low low in my life which allows me to be grateful for just having a mundane and average life. Instead of thinking, oh my life is rubbish, i think, damn i have it great, just ordered a pizza from pizzahut with some cheesy jalapeno bites. I got my feet up and i am about to watch a film on my projector and a fridge full of beers. That old saying, you don't now what you got until its gone. People rarely appreciate their simple lives until they have been ridiculously close to a terrible prolonged life experience. You may find that if you don't fix that attitude on life or outlook, it won't matter what you fill your life with, beautiful women, amazing hoilday's, success at work, great experiences doing hobbies that you enjoy, you will still find yourself even after all those things in same position feeling sorry for yourself. I know my dad fell victim to this mentality, it took years to talk him out of it and he still has a terrible fear of being alone. It is that inner voice telling you that there is more out there and you missing out on it. Just have to learn to be at peace with your life and make the best out of every day, easier said than done but its not impossible.

Soldato

I get out the house and go climbing several times a week but as far as any sort of social life goes. The few mates I do have are back in South Yorkshire. Pretty much the only people I would consider friends here I climb with and don't see outside of that.

Results in a depressingly similar situation of loneliness and stagnation.

Soldato
Hobbies - ones that involve being out of the house and with people:
* scuba diving
* mountain biking club
* adult learning classes - these can have a wide range of people..
ad infinitum..

The main thing is that:
a) people start having kids 30-40..
b) people start buying houses 30-40..
c) all those people in the same boat.. not much money.. start getting used to just TV or computer games..

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can count the number of real friends you have on one hand. Everything else is acquaintances or chums. The Facebook era has lead people to believe in quantity over quality.

Associate
I am 30, similar life style, don't see myself as stuck in a rut. Its all a matter of perspective. I was fortunate enough to reach a very low low in my life which allows me to be grateful for just having a mundane and average life....

This pretty much. As soon as you start wondering why your life isn't 'better' you forget what enjoyable things you're actually doing because there must be something better.

Let's be honest, at best 'better' is an incredibly vague desire to constantly improve yourself and your life. Trouble is, when your life will never be good enough for you. It's a nasty frame of mind to get caught in and I'd say it's quiet common.

Give yourself things to enjoy about your life but, more importantly, stop taking things in your life that you already enjoy for granted.

Back
Top Bottom