Stuck trying to install a CPU cooler...

oio

oio

Associate
Got myself an Alpenfon Ben Nevis CPU cooler from ocuk but I'm a bit stuck with the installation, literally... :(

It came with an AMD clip already attached, which I need to swap to the 115X clips for my CPU. Unfortunately the four little screws holding it in place seem to be pretty seriously jammed in place... Anyone have a suggestion for getting these out (without damaging the heatsink!)?

Soldato
Picture would help if you havent already sorted it? Just to check as well that the instructions are telling you this part is to be removed by unscrewing...?

Associate
Just looked at the user instructions they indicate that no bracket is pre-installed on the cooler, seems odd that yours does. If the AMD bracket is installed then yes it will have to be removed.
Don't know what screws are used, but get the largest screw driver with the biggest handle to give you the most leverage, could also try heating the screw area up with a hair dryer..

Soldato
I don't believe that coolers generally come with the brackets fitted so if you are struggling to get the cooler to suit the purpose you purchased it for this is grounds enough to return it. I would contact OCUK customer service before you damage anything making a return impossible.

oio

oio

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies folks, pretty much matches my thinking in the end. I too was surprised the clip arrived pre-attached, contrary to the info from the instructions. And yeah, since it was new out of the box I didn't fancy experimenting with anything too drastic to get it apart... So it's gone back.

I'll update when it gets resolved (for the cooling sub-forum cliff-hanger fans out there :p)

Soldato
Does seem strange that the bracket was already attached, but looking online it does appear to be the way this cooler arrives.

Are you getting the same cooler again, or something different?

oio

oio

Associate
OP
I got it sent back with the right bracket attached. Apparently they didn't find a problem with it, so maybe I simply don't have the build for pc construction any more... :p

Anyway, it all worked out fine in the end, apart from my wounded pride perhaps. And that can always be soothed with bittersweet haribo...

Aside from the difficulties of getting it installed, the cooler seems to work well. It doesn't crowd the ram and the fan runs nice and quietly.

Back
Top Bottom