Stupid question, sorry.

Associate
With the Asus Rog maximus XI Hero there are 3 psu imputs for the board.

I have the EATX 24 pin connected already

Do i also need to connect the EATX12v_1 8 pin connected to the PSU also?

Leaving the EATX12v_2 empty?

Sorry for noob question, its been a while since i have built anything!

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Yes, you need the 8 pin connected as well as that provides power for the cpu. I suppose you only need the extra 4 pin connected if you are going to run a 9900k and clock the nuts off it.
You would need to be in the realm of exotic cooling to need more than the extra 8 pin.

OP, using both the 4 and 8 wont harm the board.
In the manual it says that the 8 is required but the 4 is optional. Just as pastymuncher says.

Associate
You will not need to connect more than the 8-Pin in any situation, problems with the 9900K are more about VRM cooling. There are good reviews of Motherboards on Buildzoids YouTube channel and he now partners with GamersNexus.

With the Maximus XI Hero you need to be careful, enabling XMP memory profile enforces the 95w TDP limit and so hampers the performance of the 9900K. Great video on Hardware Unboxed on their YouTube channel. It’s all resolvable through the BIOS as you can manually override the 95w TDP and access all the performance.

Associate
You will not need to connect more than the 8-Pin in any situation, problems with the 9900K are more about VRM cooling. There are good reviews of Motherboards on Buildzoids YouTube channel and he now partners with GamersNexus.

With the Maximus XI Hero you need to be careful, enabling XMP memory profile enforces the 95w TDP limit and so hampers the performance of the 9900K. Great video on Hardware Unboxed on their YouTube channel. It’s all resolvable through the BIOS as you can manually override the 95w TDP and access all the performance.

On the Maximus XI line enabling XMP does not limit the processor to 95W.

When you enable XMP an onscreen prompt appears asking if you want to overclock your cpu (or words to that effect). If you click no then the board reverts to Intel recommended settings. These can be changed at any time.

In fact, in that same session, before you leave the Bios after clicking no (or yes) you are shown exactly what has changed in the bios and can cancel if the changes are not what you want before exiting.

To be clear, enabling XMP will not limit the CPU. Selecting No when asked by the prompt if you want your cpu to be overclocked will revert to the intel recommended settings and keep it as stock.

This is a choice, not a defect and all changes are presented to the user before being applied.

Associate
On the Maximus XI line enabling XMP does not limit the processor to 95W.

When you enable XMP an onscreen prompt appears asking if you want to overclock your cpu (or words to that effect). If you click no then the board reverts to Intel recommended settings. These can be changed at any time.

In fact, in that same session, before you leave the Bios after clicking no (or yes) you are shown exactly what has changed in the bios and can cancel if the changes are not what you want before exiting.

To be clear, enabling XMP will not limit the CPU. Selecting No when asked by the prompt if you want your cpu to be overclocked will revert to the intel recommended settings and keep it as stock.

This is a choice, not a defect and all changes are presented to the user before being applied.

You are misleading people I’m afraid, enforcing TDP is not just about overclocking, actually if you don’t have a very good cooling solution you will see thermal throttling.

My point is even an experienced user can get caught out enough by this. Two very reputable channels have called this out including Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed. Watch the videos before shooting buddy.

I actually feel for ASUS as they are the only ones to even give an option to limit TDP, all the other motherboard vendors just plain ignored the limit and don’t get me started on the BCLK shenanigans!

Associate
You are misleading people I’m afraid, enforcing TDP is not just about overclocking, actually if you don’t have a very good cooling solution you will see thermal throttling.

My point is even an experienced user can get caught out enough by this. Two very reputable channels have called this out including Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed. Watch the videos before shooting buddy.

I actually feel for ASUS as they are the only ones to even give an option to limit TDP, all the other motherboard vendors just plain ignored the limit and don’t get me started on the BCLK shenanigans!

I'm not sure why you think i am missleading people.

Everything i have said is true and comes not only from the fact that i own a maximus 11 board and am able to use the bios, but also from the sources you mentioned.

Nothing i have said is inaccurate.

At the beginning of this video 1.50 or so, he says:

"And for the 95w limited testing i used the Asus Rog Maximus 11 Hero.
I loaded up the extreme memory profile and opted to use intel settings which enforces a 95w tdp limit."

Simply selecting XMP will not limit the cpu to 95w on a maximus 11 board. You must choose the intel settings at the prompt that appears after you enable XMP. Once you have done this, you must save the settings and exit the bios. At this point the Bios will show you the exact changes you have made to the bios before you can exit. You cannot enable intel settings which enforce the 95w tdp without first choosing to do so and then second confirming that you want the settings to be saved.

To be 100% clear, you can enable XMP with a maximus 11 board and you do not have to choose the 95w tdp limit. It is an option. One that needs to be actively selected and then confirmed (all the changes are displayed at the apply settings confirmation screen before they are applied giving you a second chance to not go with a 95w tdp) in the bios.

I cant understand how having the option of setting a board to apply intel specified settings for the cpu is a bad thing. More choice is good right? You dont have to enable it.

I don't know why anyone would use it, but that is another topic.

Steve at gamers nexus has shown the same thing on his channel. If i have to i can dig through the videos to find it for you.

I have also used the prompt myself on my own Maximus 11 Formula. You can't accidently enable the 95w tdp and it isn't default behaviour.

I have XMP enabled on my board and chose not to apply the intel settings. It was a simple yes or no. No 95w limit.

Associate
I'm not sure why you think i am missleading people.

Everything i have said is true and comes not only from the fact that i own a maximus 11 board and am able to use the bios, but also from the sources you mentioned.

Nothing i have said is inaccurate.

At the beginning of this video 1.50 or so, he says:

"And for the 95w limited testing i used the Asus Rog Maximus 11 Hero.
I loaded up the extreme memory profile and opted to use intel settings which enforces a 95w tdp limit."

Simply selecting XMP will not limit the cpu to 95w on a maximus 11 board. You must choose the intel settings at the prompt that appears after you enable XMP. Once you have done this, you must save the settings and exit the bios. At this point the Bios will show you the exact changes you have made to the bios before you can exit. You cannot enable intel settings which enforce the 95w tdp without first choosing to do so and then second confirming that you want the settings to be saved.

To be 100% clear, you can enable XMP with a maximus 11 board and you do not have to choose the 95w tdp limit. It is an option. One that needs to be actively selected and then confirmed (all the changes are displayed at the apply settings confirmation screen before they are applied giving you a second chance to not go with a 95w tdp) in the bios.

I cant understand how having the option of setting a board to apply intel specified settings for the cpu is a bad thing. More choice is good right? You dont have to enable it.

I don't know why anyone would use it, but that is another topic.

Steve at gamers nexus has shown the same thing on his channel. If i have to i can dig through the videos to find it for you.

I have also used the prompt myself on my own Maximus 11 Formula. You can't accidently enable the 95w tdp and it isn't default behaviour.

I have XMP enabled on my board and chose not to apply the intel settings. It was a simple yes or no. No 95w limit.

I’ve watched the GN videos, also the rebuttal video from OC3D. My issue is that not everyone is as skilled as those on these forums and so may not understand the consequences, surely using Intel settings would be a natural choice for a novice?

I must say the Maximus XI Hero isn’t Asus’s finest hour, their VRM implementation and resulting increase in thermals was a disappointment for me especially when Gigabyte have really stepped up their game with their Z390 board.

To me this isn’t dis-similar to the C7H which whilst being a great board in itself, for the near £300 price point is somewhat lacking compared to the effort place on their Intel boards, especially when the Taichi Ultimate delivers an Aquantia 10Gbe connection at a similar price point.

I just hope Asus step up their game on the software side, I especially hope that AuraSync is improved dramatically. Either that or they partner with Corsair, NZXT etc and open up the SDK for overall better RGB implementation. Some AuraSync compatible products are poor, TeamGroup is an especially good example as my TG RGB memory doesn’t play at all well despite claiming to be AuraSync compatible.

The new ASUS Node connector, present on their new Z390 boards could be a step forward if done well and the other manufacturers buy into it. Sadly so little information is available so far.

Associate
I agree about the Asus VRM implementation.

They work; the asus hero has done 6ghz on exotic and gn got 5.4 with 5.3 stable on the hero and had no active cooling on the vrm.

There are plenty of other actual users that arent fishing for clicks and views with no problems overclocking 5GHz+ on the hero. Zero user complaints so far as i can tell besides returns from those ****** at the fake 8 phase thing. Which is understandable. Nothing from users returning because the board wasn't capable.

To say they are overpriced compared to the likes of gigabyte (purely in terms of vrm) would be an understatement.

Thats the biggest issue, the VRM works, but compared to the alternatives it looks very cheap.

For the price of the boards you would expect better, but instead you are paying for aesthetics, the ai(?) and the Asus tax to access their bios.

Associate
Given the price of Maximus XI Hero WiFi would you say the Maximus XI Gene is a better buy? The difference is about £20.

In terms of BIOS, I wonder if ASUS is as far ahead as it once was since Gigabyte and EVGA have seemed to up their game?

Soldato
Given the price of Maximus XI Hero WiFi would you say the Maximus XI Gene is a better buy? The difference is about £20.

In terms of BIOS, I wonder if ASUS is as far ahead as it once was since Gigabyte and EVGA have seemed to up their game?

Grab the Master or Ultra at £25-40 cheaper . Bios isn;t as slick granted and can push lot higher memory on the Gene/Maxi 4000hz+ but least you'll be covered with UK RMA on the flip side

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-576-gi.html

Another shot is MSI for Bios but ACE doesn't have VRMs to match the master

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-z390-ace-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33z-ms.html

also if you happen to have the extra 4 or 8 pin CPU plug, plug it in- spreads the voltage load as well

Associate
I'd forget about the Asus boards, and just go Gigabyte.

I've used Asus boards almost exclusively since Z87, through Z97, X99, X370, Z270 - far too many boards. This last build I went Gigabyte, and apart from the difficult to navigate BIOS (because I'm so used to Asus), I've had no problems at all with the Gigabyte. Their fan controls are as good as Asus', which for me was one of the big reasons I stuck with Asus.

I'm super-happy with my Aorus Z370 Gaming 7, it's a cracking board, and happily runs my 8086K at 5.1 without breaking a sweat.

Associate
I like the asus boards. I just hope i never have to make use of their infamous (lack of) customer service.

The Maximus VRM isn't going to hold you back with a 9900k.

Just keep in mind that you are paying an Asus tax for using their products and that you can get similar or better performance for the same or less.

Gigabyte especially looks to have nailed the VRMs on the z390 platform.

Back
Top Bottom