Stupid weather!

Soldato
I hate rain, I don't mind riding in it, as my kit (even though the jacket and trousers are on the cheaper scale) doesn't leak so I'm dry and warm.

BUT! I have a whole metal box full of cleaning products, including my new power washer, snow foam lance and soap, a tonne of detailing bits.

My bike is absolutely filthy right now, the chain being the exception as it's been cleaned and maintained (reminder, this weather is a killer for chains, clean regularly as the water washes off the lube fairly easily).

Is it sad I'm looking forward to the dry weather so I can clean my bike properly?

This is my 4th Ducati now, and I think I'm slowly becoming a stereotypical Ducati owner... Only difference is, I ride mine like I stole them every time :p

Soldato
OP
Everytime I check met office and see that little picture of a grey cloud with two rain drops, aswell as 40mph gusts. I cry a little.

This! So much this. Today I had a peak, saw a sunshine symbol!!! Then noticed it was for something like Wednesday not Saturday/Sunday which is rain and wind :(

I am tired of it, I just want some sun shine!

Soldato
OP
I'm testing multiple brands at the moment, I've got a spreadsheet of variables recorded. I can post here once I've finished.

Think I got a few cans left, so far I finished off my Wurth dry lube (lol... Not designed for this weather), now finished off WD40 wet chain wax and now on Wurth dry wax, which seems to be the best so far! Leaves no residue after rubbing the excess off/down.

I have a few more, and ultimately will be testing a Scottoiler, but will try and blag one for free.

Soldato
OP
Rained loads today, I'm in Reading.

The forecast is beyond unpredictable! I'm working from 0730 - 2330 today and tomorrow, so either ride is me being glum in my helmet along the M4.

Agnes did you pop into Europe a few days back? I forgot if it was you going to Belgium/somewhere.

Am just trying to get my arse in gear to do similar, but to Luxembourg.

Oh yes also WEATHER UPDATE: My phone says dry rest of today - after a massive downpour earlier - and dry next few days! That's Reading and Oxford btw.

Yarp, that was me, went to Belgium via north France. Stayed in Ghent. I strongly recommend the place if you have a spare night, wonderful and beautiful city.

I went over 2 days, my biggest regret, not actually planning a route, just going where the wind takes me, let me tell you, there are NO scenic routes to be had at the top of France and most of where I went in Belgium is boring to ride. I will go to Ghent again, but along the west coast and accross to keep the distance as short as possible.

I'm looking at taking out a week at the end of February to go to Scotland. Then, a big 2 weeks out in May to go to Italy on the bike.

I will be up for people to join me going to Italy, not Scotland, as I'm taking my mum bless her. I'm from Scotland so all the family is up there, and my mum wants to see the highlands on the bike. Good girl.

Also, chain lube... My chain is pretty much bone dry, 2 days riding, Wurth's 'heavier' chain wax, and it's all but been washed off. No more than 50 miles. Pathetic, will put the can aside... I'm tempted to go back to the WD40 Chain Wax... It needed a good clean down of the excess to stop fling. But it stuck on for almost 1,000 miles on my tiny little trip up to Belgium and the week's riding before that.... INCREDIBLE stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I would spend the money on heated grips mate... I have them and have 3 settings, low, mid and high. High should be called lava...

I wear Alpinestar 365 gloves, they are all season gloves but hardly designed for winter. And my hands stay nice and warm on medium in temps lower than 10C, and if below 1C I go to MOTHER CHUFFING LAVA!!!! Keeps my hands very warm, maybe too hot from time to time.

Fingertips, yet, they still get a little cold, but not as much. I would suggest heated gloves but I've never used them.

Now I've ridden with heated grips, don't think I can go back :(

Soldato
OP
How was it mate??? Enjoy Gent? Please tell me you went to the troll bar and tried out some of the beers? I went in there feeling fine, walked out with a numb face and legs made of jelly!

Soldato
OP
Yea, glorious town! Let me know next time you go, I will join you and show you the said bar!

On topic for the weather, I am very annoyed, today was meant to be sunny and I wanted to do a full clean on the bike :( But nope, will have to try do it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom