Stupid weather!

Soldato
I hate rain, I don't mind riding in it, as my kit (even though the jacket and trousers are on the cheaper scale) doesn't leak so I'm dry and warm.

BUT! I have a whole metal box full of cleaning products, including my new power washer, snow foam lance and soap, a tonne of detailing bits.

My bike is absolutely filthy right now, the chain being the exception as it's been cleaned and maintained (reminder, this weather is a killer for chains, clean regularly as the water washes off the lube fairly easily).

Is it sad I'm looking forward to the dry weather so I can clean my bike properly?

This is my 4th Ducati now, and I think I'm slowly becoming a stereotypical Ducati owner... Only difference is, I ride mine like I stole them every time :p

Associate
Same. I changed pads today in a dry spell, which actually wasn't that dry. It's such a pain working on the bike in this weather. I was just now thinking "I can't wait for sprin when I can actually spend the day getting everything clean without getting frostbite/soaked".

Soldato
OP
Everytime I check met office and see that little picture of a grey cloud with two rain drops, aswell as 40mph gusts. I cry a little.

This! So much this. Today I had a peak, saw a sunshine symbol!!! Then noticed it was for something like Wednesday not Saturday/Sunday which is rain and wind :(

I am tired of it, I just want some sun shine!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I dont mind it, ok it reduces your riding time but at least there not chucking 5000tons of salt down on the roads like last year. I am sure half of EU salt mountain was down this time a year ago in Nottingham.

Soldato
It's getting a bit much now isn't it? I think it's rained every single day for at least 3 or 4 weeks now. I have chromed exhausts which come up nice and dirty after 1 ride. A bit of water while the exhausts are hot works nicely though.

Looking forward to the days where I can put my bike away without having to clean it every single time.

Associate
My bike has been sat in the garage since November... i have done a grand sum of 15 freezing cold miles on it..... BRING ON SPRING!

Although it was snowing in April this year... Spring/Summer was very late. But at least it was nice when it finally came.

Soldato
Still riding mine almost everyday :p
Just gets a good wipe over with GT85 or WD on the weekends.

2e1c6991-ab76-40f6-b915-577f7fc449ba_zps9bf8f0eb.jpg

Soldato
It has been a good winter so far close on being warm today.

Depends on your location I suppose no missed days here.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's too cold to ride in for me, my winter stuff just doesn't keep me warm. I had an off in August, repaired the bike and then a 'bump' in the road caused my numberplate to snap off and bend all the mounting. Just put it all back together over the christmas break. I'm at university so can't really ride Sept -> May.

My MOT is due at the end of Jan and Tax end of Feb. Looks like I'm just going to SORN it as it also needs a new rear tyre. It's gonna be an expensive time getting it back on the road, I also give my bikes a full service at the start of the season too. Looks like new pads all round and chain & sprockets can wait til the month after for when I start track days!

Soldato
All fixed now after the off?

Yes thanks mate, was off the road for a few weeks after that, was waiting on clock mount, which was an OE 'spec' on turns out to be horrendous, had to file away bits to make it fit and now the mirrors are at a horrible angle, going to keep an eye out on eGay for a second hand original :D

I must admit its not nice riding in this wind though, rain is fine, wind on a faired bike, not so much :D

Nice! What lube/cleaner on the chain?

Not sure. Some wet stuff I found in the garage, can let you know tomorrow :p
Took the advice of others on here and gave up the dry chain lube for the winter, see how the chain fairs.

Soldato
Took the advice of others on here and gave up the dry chain lube for the winter, see how the chain fairs.

I use ep80 gear oil not to thick or thin not much fling on rear wheel.

Soldato

Cheers.

Yeah that's why I asked. My dry lube has been useless so far with all this wet weather.

Soldato
OP
I'm testing multiple brands at the moment, I've got a spreadsheet of variables recorded. I can post here once I've finished.

Think I got a few cans left, so far I finished off my Wurth dry lube (lol... Not designed for this weather), now finished off WD40 wet chain wax and now on Wurth dry wax, which seems to be the best so far! Leaves no residue after rubbing the excess off/down.

I have a few more, and ultimately will be testing a Scottoiler, but will try and blag one for free.

Soldato
I have a Scottoiler you will not beat this or a similar product but I have been to lazy to fit on my last 4 bikes :D

Edit: Also DID recommend ep80 which I mention in above thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom