Stutter Issues with RTX 3080

Associate
Hello! Two weeks ago finished my new build featuring RTX 3080. Started noticing some stuttering issues in games like Metro Exodus(especially visible when running in game benchamark), No Man's Sky, Rise of the tomb raider(stutters appear when rtx is a ultra settings), The Medium. On the other hand Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3 work flawlessly.

My build:
PSU: Seasonic PRIME PX-1000, 1000W 80+ Platinum
Videocard: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080
RAM: G.Skill [email protected]3600mhz CL16-19-19-39
Motherboard:Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master with latest bios.
CPU: [email protected]
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB and Samsung 970 Evo m.2 1TB.
GPU Driver: 461.40 Monitor: LG 27Inch 1440p@144hz

Temperatures are ok, nothing is overheatings. Tested the system with RealBench - 4 hours. Memtest86 - 4 passes no errors.

I was wondering can this be a driver issue ? or maybe the graphics card hardware has issues? Just strange, some games run really well, but some have stuttering. Although the stuttering seeams minor, but still really strange behavior. The system runs out of the box settings. Didn't do any manual overclock.

Associate
OP
I've run crystal disk mark on 980 and 970 drives seems to be ok. The 980 runs +- the same speed as 970 @pcie 3.0
The system is installed on 980 pro, but I've tried installing games that have the issues on both of them, basically the same behaviour.

Is there a way to test if that's a pcie 4.0 sdd glitch without removing it and reinstalling the system on 970 evo?

Minor sttuters appear when the game tries to load a new part of the location. Basically during texture load, but still strange why it's game specific.

Associate
Maybe undo any memory or CPU overclocks as a start. Could also undervolt the GPU to check whether there’s any improvement - helps to rule out some of the more obvious issues.

Are the stutter games set to DX12?

In game overlays can also cause stuttering.

Soldato
I've run crystal disk mark on 980 and 970 drives seems to be ok. The 980 runs +- the same speed as 970 @pcie 3.0
The system is installed on 980 pro, but I've tried installing games that have the issues on both of them, basically the same behaviour.

Is there a way to test if that's a pcie 4.0 sdd glitch without removing it and reinstalling the system on 970 evo?
Not sure is the answer, and pcie 4.0 is supposed to be 100% backwards compatible anyway? Can you actually see any gpu 'spiking' going on in Afterburner or other monitoring software?

Associate
OP
I've tried disabling XMP and disabling turbo boost as a start, but the issue is still there.

Regarding lowering the settings in most cases the stutter dissapear. Sometimes switching to DX11 helps.

But still strange, it's a powerfull card I thought it could handle ultra without any stuttering.

Man of Honour
It mite be a driver issue could try older version.

You need to check gpu usage on ultra settings and check when stutters occur. Would also test on lower settings as a comparison. Mite as well check cpu usage as well.

Associate
I've tried disabling XMP and disabling turbo boost as a start, but the issue is still there.

Regarding lowering the settings in most cases the stutter dissapear. Sometimes switching to DX11 helps.

But still strange, it's a powerfull card I thought it could handle ultra without any stuttering.

I have a 3080 running on a 1440p 165Hz monitor, and haven’t had stuttering issues on Metro or TR at Max settings; just to give you some hope. The card can definitely handle it.

DX12 can cause stuttering; Google it for some suggestions. Windows game bar overlay has caused issues as well. Borderless windowed and full screen can give different results.

Get a monitoring util to check FPS, temps, power, etc. because if those are normal then it’s software related.

Associate
OP
Tried:
1) Disabling windows game bar, the issue still persists.
2) Reinstalled windows didn't help.
3) Yes, all 3-8 pins are connected to the card and they are 3 separate cables connected to the power supply.

I din't try undervolting the card if that help does that mean the card is faulty and I should RMA it?

Regarding CPU utilisation when the stutter occurs it is really minor and followed by a frame spike, but the CPU utilisation in all games max 50-55%.
CPU temps: max ~50-55 degrees.
GPU out of the box: max 74 on stock fan curve.
m2: 54-59 degrees.
GPU utilisation in most games: 97-99%, seen 100% once.

Last edited:
Associate
Tried:
1) Disabling windows game bar, the issue still persists.
2) Reinstalled windows didn't help.
3) Yes, all 3-8 pins are connected to the card and they are 3 separate cables connected to the power supply.

I din't try undervolting the card if that help does that mean the card is faulty and I should RMA it?

Regarding CPU utilisation when the stutter occurs it is really minor and followed by a frame spike, but the CPU utilisation in all games max 50-55%.
CPU temps: max ~50-55 degrees.
GPU out of the box: max 74 on stock fan curve.
m2: 54-59 degrees.
GPU utilisation in most games: 97-99%, seen 100% once.

You could check HWInfo to see whether it's hitting power or temp limits. You can undervolt your card without losing performance, it'll just improve the temp and power usage and help figure out whether those have any relation to the issue.

I can't see the CPU being a problem.

Associate
OP
Did some checks in shadow of tomb rider on all ultra.

The interesting thing is that sttuter is easely reproducible in specific point of the location.
For example I found a point in the location where framerate drops from 110 to 90 and frame time goes to 52 ms for a bit.
During the spike theres no CPU spikes but the GPU usage falls from 98-99% to 70-80% and power limit falls for 98-100% to 60-70% according to afterburner.
I've tried disabling G-Sync, the same behaviour, the issue persisted.

I will try undervolting the card and see how it goes.

Soldato
Sounds crazy, but do you use Corsair iCUE software? If so, try removing it. I have several friends who have had all sorts of problems with their PCs that miraculously fixed themselves after removing that software.

Associate
OP
I've tried undervolting the card. Set the voltage to 969mV with 1920 MHz. The behaviour is still there.
Tried different driver version the same behaviour.

By the way can this be an issue of two m.2 drives installed? Can they use bandwidth that is needed to the videocard pci-e? Although I've checked motherboard manual and it should be ok.
Is it possible that the motherboard is causing this? Maybe something is faulty there? But not sure how to check.

hmm, I tried running the system with minimal setup without any additional software only drivers, but the issue persisted.

I would love to change the graphics card but I don't have something decent around, to compare with same settings.

Soldato
Could just be the specific games / the benchmarks.

The Medium (which I have) has a definite weird known stutter issue - see digital foundrys recent video on it! 100% it’s the game at fault, watch the vid.

I don’t have the other games you mention, and am using a 3090 now, but red dead redemption 2 benchmark always stutters in roughly the same spot, yet in game is fine.

Also Heaven benchmark is incredibly jittery compared to how my 1080ti was which I find odd, but then the 1080ti would stutter at some points on that.

Sometimes it really is just the specific game. If other games and stuff are ok, I would not worry too much about it.

Associate
OP
I've updated the driver to 461.92 and most of the problems that I had are resolved. I think the thread can be marked as resolved.

Back
Top Bottom