• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Stutterfest

Associate
Alright! I've got a GTX 980 paired with a i7 3770 and i get stutters like crazy on a lot of games when using VSync (if i don't use Vsync i get tearing) and its driving me round the bend, most notable game that does it is GTA V.

Will a Gsync monitor fix my issues? I keep going from 60FPs to 57-58-59 randomly. I don't want to spend money on a Gsync monitor if it won't help me in anyway, or if there is another way i can get rid of stuttering, my rig is more than capable of playing these games, thats what winds me up so bad, without having to spend another £400 on a new monitor.. :eek:

Help me guys, I'm begging you :(

Soldato
You'll always get tearing unless you use v sync, and you'll always get stutter with v-sync. If you lower your settings so you always get above 60 fps that will get rid of your stutter with v-sync. You can try enabling nvidia adaptive sync in driver settings, that will give you b-sync until you can't make 60fps then you'll have 1 tear then back to v-sync. It's a half way house but you might be able to live with it. Otherwise g-sync is your only option.

Soldato
^ this, you can try turning the settings down a bit, you can try going through this guide and choosing which settings make the least impact on visual quality

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide

other than that, as Dave says, the only other way of guaranteeing no stutter is to get a gsync monitor (on the plus side, once you have one you can keep it through several PC upgrades and it will always be sitting there acting like an extra GPU upgrade, year in year out)

Soldato
The Free solution is adjusting your settings to maintain over 60 or 60 atleast and then use a framerate limiter set to 59 while also forcing triple buffering through the nvidia control panel and of course vsync = on.

On the topic of stuttering i have myself been wrestling with it ever since i upgraded to my 980ti back in june. Vsync would appear as stuttering and without it would tear so much that the stutter was masked(but still there). It wasnt until i started to use the dev drivers such as version 358.78 most of my issues went away. Now if you can sustain 60+ without vsync i would check out these drivers. On the other hand if you cannot then the stuttering is most likely just vsync related. Last option is to pony up the dough for the insanely expensive g-sync screens, hopefully they have fixed all the g-sync related issues by now.

Soldato
I get this too. It seems driver related, and doing a fresh driver install was the only way I could temporarily fix it. Part of me thinks that Nvidia is doing it on purpose to drive sales for g-sync, but who knows.

Soldato
I get this too. It seems driver related, and doing a fresh driver install was the only way I could temporarily fix it. Part of me thinks that Nvidia is doing it on purpose to drive sales for g-sync, but who knows.
Yea it should be a driver issue. Bit-tech's (Custom PC) recent review of the round up of the range of graphic cards, they have found that for the 980Ti there were testing stuttering in GTX V, but they put it down as possible driver caused issue as well.

Associate
OP
I reinstalled windows 10 the other day with the latest driver so reinstalling driver won't work.

I've even tried 800x600 resoluton with ultra low settings and get the same stutter (lol).

Whats the best place to get the cheapest Gsync monitor in the UK? Being this close to Christmas with children isn't a good time haha

Soldato
Alright! I've got a GTX 980 paired with a i7 3770 and i get stutters like crazy on a lot of games when using VSync (if i don't use Vsync i get tearing) and its driving me round the bend, most notable game that does it is GTA V.

Will a Gsync monitor fix my issues? I keep going from 60FPs to 57-58-59 randomly. I don't want to spend money on a Gsync monitor if it won't help me in anyway, or if there is another way i can get rid of stuttering, my rig is more than capable of playing these games, thats what winds me up so bad, without having to spend another £400 on a new monitor.. :eek:

Help me guys, I'm begging you :(

Just lock your FPS to 59 using either riva tuner or inside the nvidia drivers, ya can in ATI drivers so i assume ya can in nvidia. Once ya lock it to 59 fps it seems to reduce input lag aswell as getting rid of vsync stutter, not sure why it works but it does so i stick with it. If ya playing fps shooters i would turn off vsync and just cope with the tearing though cause vsync adds too much lag.

Soldato
I reinstalled windows 10 the other day with the latest driver so reinstalling driver won't work.

I've even tried 800x600 resoluton with ultra low settings and get the same stutter (lol).

Whats the best place to get the cheapest Gsync monitor in the UK? Being this close to Christmas with children isn't a good time haha

Then I doubt gsync will fix whatever is wrong with your PC.

Associate
Have you unparked the CPU cores?

I know that in GTA V, enabling vsync in Nvidia Control Panel and disabling it in game can help, though stutter during cut scenes seems to remain.

I'm using a 980ti and it's smooth at 4k with a few settings turned down and I'm a stickler for stutter. I also created a custom resolution using CRU to stop GTA V from defaulting to 59hz, so only 60hz is available.

Back
Top Bottom