Subwoofer recommendations

Associate
OP
Received my Gemini today and have been testing it out. I've got the frequency set to LFE and the low-level gain set to around the 10 o clock position. In the receiver settings, crossover frequency is set to 150Hz and subwoofer level is set to - 4db. Are these the right settings for my setup? I also set the receiver to Auto Surround when watching movies and Stereo when using my turntable.

Man of Honour
Regarding the settings....

LFE is sort of the equivalent of setting the crossover frequency to maximum because you're letting the amp decide what the best frequency is to match with the main speakers.

Some suggest that the sub sounds marginally better if (in cases such as yours at least) the crossover frequency is set the maximum position just before the click-over point to LFE. Try it for yourself.

The level (-4dB) is whatever the amp thinks is the best match between the volumes of the main speakers.and the sub.

The general guidance for set-up is to start with the sub volume at 12 o'clock and then see if the amp has to boost or cut its output a lot to achieve a sonic match. A setting of -4dB on the amp still leave's you a lot of scope to lift or lower the amps output if you feel that the sub's volume needs a tweak. That's fine.

Associate
OP
Regarding the settings....

LFE is sort of the equivalent of setting the crossover frequency to maximum because you're letting the amp decide what the best frequency is to match with the main speakers.

Some suggest that the sub sounds marginally better if (in cases such as yours at least) the crossover frequency is set the maximum position just before the click-over point to LFE. Try it for yourself.

The level (-4dB) is whatever the amp thinks is the best match between the volumes of the main speakers.and the sub.

The general guidance for set-up is to start with the sub volume at 12 o'clock and then see if the amp has to boost or cut its output a lot to achieve a sonic match. A setting of -4dB on the amp still leave's you a lot of scope to lift or lower the amps output if you feel that the sub's volume needs a tweak. That's fine.

I should add that my receiver doesn't have any auto calibration - all the settings have to be done manually.

Man of Honour
I should add that my receiver doesn't have any auto calibration - all the settings have to be done manually.

1) Sub's Crossover Frequency to highest point just before it clicks over to the LFE setting.

2) Sub's Volume to 50% / 12 o'clock setting

3) Sub's Phase to 0 (zero) degrees

4) Amplifier sub volume to 0dB. Amp crossover frequency to around 140Hz. (Fine tune by ear once all other settings are done)

The first live adjustment on the sub will be made to the Phase control, but you'll use Phase and Volume during the process.

Set the amp to 5-channel stereo mode. Play some music with a pronounced bass beat. You will be adjusting sub volume up or down as required until you can hear the subs contribution but it doesn't swamp the satellites.

Then you will adjust the sub's phase control to get the strongest bass beat. This is the point where the sub's bass cone is moving in the same direction as the satellite so that they are in sync (AKA in phase).

Lastly, finish off with fine tuning the volume. For this you can use the volume on the back of the sub or the amp's channel volume in the speaker set-up menu. That's actually a bit more convenient because you can make the adjustments from your main seating position.

The ideal sub volume setting is where the sub contributes but without drawing attention to itself.

Back
Top Bottom