Subwoofer settings question.

Associate
Hi, I would like to know when adjusting the subwoofer, which setting should I touch?

The subwoofer level setting on the receiver or the volume knob on the sub?

It's a budget speaker setup from Onkyo and the knob says volume not gain.

I ran the setup with the included calibration mic and it set the sub level to +8 with the knob set to 3/4. It sets it higher with the knob set lower. No way will it be 0db with this sub.

The sub is only 80W. I do like how it sounds but some movies have more bass than I would like so I want to reduce it.

Thanks.

Soldato
If your avr sets to plus 8 then increase the subs own volume a bit and rerun auto setup.

Cheap subs generally make your system sound worse so upgrade your sub when you can.

The bass you have is most likely distortion and chugging so high end sub appears to have less bass until your walls are pushed outwards when the scene calls for it.

Associate
OP
Thanks. I did a run with the knob on max and it set it to +5db. That's the lowest the receiver will set it.

It sounded great as well. The Force Awakens blu ray in DTS-HD is where the bass is heavy and deep. It doesn't sound distorted but I don't want to annoy anyone.:D

Other movies are fine but I want to know which setting to reduce or increase if needed.

Edit: I have now set it up as best as I can get it. DTS-HD seems to have a bit more kick in the bass when comparing the same movies compared to Dolby Atmos.

I have Infinity war with both audio tracks on different Blu rays. The Force Awakens has a lot of bass it seems.

Thanks anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
My Q Acoustic sub even set to about 10% the Denon amp sets it to -6.

Better with minus if you can let the sub do the gain.

Associate
OP
My Q Acoustic sub even set to about 10% the Denon amp sets it to -6.

Better with minus if you can let the sub do the gain.
I have just got into this receiver and speaker business to go with my Sony XF90 55" TV. I used to have a Dolby Digital receiver back in the day but this room EQ thing is new to me.

It's only a budget setup but it's good enough for now and I will upgrade over time as I get more into this.

The sub will be the first thing to take care of. ;)

I have now got the settings to +4 and that's the best I can get. Now trying to figure out how to keep the sub out of standby at low volumes.

Soldato
I generally calibrate using a handheld SPL meter in my sitting position. I start with my sub at 0 in my AVR and adjust the on board gain until I get the desired reading on my meter (generally 80dB with my avr volume set at 60). I then adjust the AVR gain on the rest of my speakers to match.

Back
Top Bottom