Sudden distortion in speakers

Man of Honour
Has you TV had any recent firmware updates? Have you checked the model number with line forums to see if others are experiencing the same?

Where tou draw a blank with this then start troubleshooting in the amp by going back to a basic analogue stereo source signal and with the amp in pure stereo mode. If you're sure you have that set up correctly, and you still find distortion, then it's either the pre-amp section, or power amp amp set tion,or the speakers themselves.

If all okay, see how the amp handles the same stereo signal but in digital processing mode. Stick the amp in multichannel stereo mode.

If that's okay,then go for a digital signal from a different source; do you have a disc player with optical or coax out?

If that's okay then go for a HDMI audio source signal. If all this okay then start looking at the TV as a culprit.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like the distortion is only in my center speaker. In surround mode the other speakers are OK.

I guess the next thing is to try changing speaker cables?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Swap over the centre and say the left speaker. See if the distortion follows the cable (indicated an amp problem) or stays with the speaker - obviously confirming it's the centre speaker.

Associate
OP
After cleaning it and reseating the cables, it seems to have sorted itself out! Thanks for the tips

It's now OK but after a while, maybe 30 mins, the distortion comes back. If I turn it off and leave it, then turn it back on, its OK for a bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom