Suggestions for Art Software (free/inexpensive)/Getting Started Tutorials to use with a Wacom Tablet

Soldato
Hi all,

I built my daughter her first gaming pc for her tenth birthday, which she's very much enjoying. I also picked up a Wacom Intuos Small CTL-4100WL as an introduction to digital artwork.

She loves to draw with her Posca pens (and a variety of other mediums), so I thought the Wacom might be something she'd make use of, to translate her artistic side to a digital format.

Having absolutely zero knowledge of digital art creation (beyond basic Lightroom fiddling of my photos), I've hit a bit of a wall in terms of getting her set up.

I'd be grateful for any pointers for an absolute beginner, both software (I've read briefly about GIMP and Adobe Illustrator) and any recommendations for Youtube tutorials/Getting Started type guides.

Many thanks!

Associate
Whilst not probably the best for art, depending on your definition and what she would like to do you could look into Blender as you can do a lot with grease pencil and there's always the option of doing some 3d modeling and whatnot.

Associate
Hi all,

I built my daughter her first gaming pc for her tenth birthday, which she's very much enjoying. I also picked up a Wacom Intuos Small CTL-4100WL as an introduction to digital artwork.

She loves to draw with her Posca pens (and a variety of other mediums), so I thought the Wacom might be something she'd make use of, to translate her artistic side to a digital format.

Having absolutely zero knowledge of digital art creation (beyond basic Lightroom fiddling of my photos), I've hit a bit of a wall in terms of getting her set up.

I'd be grateful for any pointers for an absolute beginner, both software (I've read briefly about GIMP and Adobe Illustrator) and any recommendations for Youtube tutorials/Getting Started type guides.

Many thanks!
PaintDotNet is a good free photoshop substitute. Not as good but it gets things done. https://www.getpaint.net/

Blender3D is a good free 3D engine. It is also used to take drawings to the next level. Animated cartoons. https://www.blender.org/

Seek youtube tutorials for both suggestions to really open them up.

Back
Top Bottom