sunshine in a bottle

Soldato
OP
A year after redundancy so i will have been working on a day/night blend continental shift my body clock was everywhere, 4 years to my last ever mortgage payment (started 03)
i really would give myself a good slap if i could go back, not so much for drinking more for taking relationships for granted

Soldato
I drink maybe 1-2 times a year, I just lost interest around 23/24. If you do it in moderation it's fine.

Edit: Jesus OP This thread was from 2008, I had just graduated uni at that point. How much do you actually drink per week / day though?

Last edited:
Drugs are bad. Not had a drink in many months. You may feel good at the time but it's temporary and take too much and you feel dreadful the next day unless you consume more. Not sure why this drug is legal and others are not, I think it has to do with the power of the alcohol industry.

In 2022, there were 10,048 deaths (16.6 per 100,000 people) from alcohol-specific causes registered in the UK, the highest number on record. Whereas there were 26 deaths due to cannabis in the same year. Not that I advocate either.

The only drugs I take these days is Epilepsy preventing and some Paracetamol. I feel so much better for it, if a little grumpy at times.

Associate
This thread was posted when I was 15. I'm now in my 30s.
Haha didn't spot that originally, I just figured it was a usual Sunday hangover post. :cry:

I'd have been in my last year of uni back then but never been a big drinker or had friends who are big drinkers, I think that has a big influence on your situation.

I now work with people who can, and do, drink a lot and when we go out I'll have close to 14 or 15 pints, with the shots etc. With my usual crowd it will be 3 or 4 and that's it!

I love that buzz feeling you get when you're at about 5 pints and don't care so much about looking daft or stupid but hate the next day when you've had that bit too much and are feeling groggy and crappy.

I seem to go through periods of not drinking for weeks or months and then ill have a week off work and have a few or so every night on holiday.

If I could get drunk on zero calorie alcohol then I'd probably drink much more! I just hate the thought of drinking 2 days worth of calories in one night!

My absolute favourite drink is Baileys and I would usually have that in a pint glass with a single large whisky type ice cube and that would be me sorted. :cool: love the stuff but it's akin to drinking lard for the calory count.

Caporegime
Never had any inclination to stop drinking and never will. I bloody love it!

I did pack up smoking though. As well as the health impact, I shudder to think how much it would cost me to smoke nowadays!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have mixed feelings about alcohol. It’s undoubtedly fun, but as I get older I’m more conscious of my inability to relax.

If these forums and other internet stimulation is a ‘cope’ to keep my overactive and overstimulated brain occupied, then alcohol is the opposite - it turns certain subtle and intrusive parts of my brain off.

In truth, now that life is more settled and routine, without all the possibilities and mystery of youth, I now find ‘being comfortable’ (without either hyper-stimulation / dumbing-down) very hard.

Edit: I meant to add… I feel like I now understand why people can descend into alcoholism because of the escapism alcohol can bring. In my youth, as a young adult, I remember having a conversation in which I remarked that I didn’t understand how people could get addictive to something that is not ‘chemically addictive’ - why can you just not put the bottle down? And now… although I don’t suffer from that problem, I get it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think my biggest issue is I enjoy it so damn much, I think if I had a default good mood it may be different but I get a massive dopamine rush or whatever it is, think my brain is hardwired now.
I.also believe my red wine has benefits, I was politely booted out of the on the wagon thread as that's where people what help and reassurance not been told they may be missing out on some benefits

X

X

Caporegime
I was politely booted out of the on the wagon thread as that's where people what help and reassurance not been told they may be missing out on some benefits

You completely missed the point of the thread, which was explained to you at the time.

Back
Top Bottom