Super computer DIY

Associate
Well here goes, who would like to assist (voluntary) on building a small super computer.

At the school where i'm the IT manager, I want to play around with trying to build small parallel computer, possibly using 16 mobo's.

I will look into building / buying something to house them, I have an idea on what i could use, (laptop trolly which has 16 gang 240v sockets, plus room for a switch and room for the boards etc.

Initially I want to see if it's possible to make it work like a blade server, with load balancing, and eventually use it to trial things like, wincitrix or an alternative terminal emulation platform.

I could start off with just a 4 way, and if successfull, produce 1 or more 16 way. Using dual core processors, to be truthful, there is no restriction on what I can do.

Obviously I'll have to test the rig, and boinc is a good bench mark of cpu / drive / ram usage.

Long term goal is to possibly have several 16 ways - load balanced together, to provide a terminal emulation system. (2 years away)

But I could start buying bits to do the trial in a couple months.

So what am I looking for.

Either someone who has done this or similar before, or someone with appropiate skills to assist with the project.

We are based in leeds, north england, so if you needed / wanted to visit site you could. At this stage I'd like to just hear from who would be interested.

So no point in getting into massive discussions on what bits to use here, and the thread being hijacked.

You can PM me, I will expect a pm from shady and a couple of others who have done similar things, etc. ;)

YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU

Associate
I tried to PM you, but I’m not allowed to for some unknown reason. I put together a parallel computing cluster < was the hardware architect > for a product my company sells to solve Maxwell’s equations or magnetic resonance using lasers to determine critical dimensions in building the stacks for chip design.

I will also forward this to one of the guys that worked on the project < Operating Systems, Cluster software, Database design etc etc>. He's a PhD in Physics and likes doing university projects.

We are both in the York Area.

shoot me an e-mail and I can go into more details. E-Mail KE1HA

Sounds like an interesting project to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom