• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Super loud fans on my RX580, can i replace stock fans?

Associate
hi

since a few updates my PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express card just goes super loud mostly when playing ark game but i was wondering is there anyway to buy and replace the stock fans for this card and what would i need please?

Soldato
I have the 'V1' version of that card, which has the same heatsink and more premium fans (the double-bladed ones that they also used on the RX 480 Red Devil). It's still pretty darn loud, even repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. The heatsink itself just isn't up to much I don't think.

You can certainly quiet it down from stock and make the fans back down much faster by setting up a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner though. That's what I did.

Associate
hi

since a few updates my PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express card just goes super loud mostly when playing ark game but i was wondering is there anyway to buy and replace the stock fans for this card and what would i need please?

The update may have messed with the Fan Curve...try tweaking that.

First of all, is this GPU overclocked or not?
Are they loud because of coil whine? Or simply because of fanspeed?

If it's because of Fan Speed, check the Fan Curve in (AMD Wattman) tool, to see if it's ramping up fan speeds too high, at too low temps.

The RX580 can run 70-80degrees all day/night, no probs...but I keep mine in the 60-70 range.

(on a side-note, I heard Ark was really badly optimised, as a game in general, super poor performance even on GPUs like the 1080Ti/2080Ti, in comparison to other game titles).

Try this:

Open up your AMD Control Panel, under Games (bottom left), click on your Global Profile (top left) and then select Wattman (top-mid), then tweak the fan curve so that you never run fanspeeds above 50-70% unless you reach 70C, then let it ramp up to +70%.

I have a [SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8Gb] and I know at 80-100% the fans do sound REALLY loud, but I can keep it under 50% fanspeed and under 70 degrees and it's almost completely silent in my case, and I play Battlefield V, Escape from Tarkov, Total War:Warhammer 2, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey..etc..

Associate
OP
thanks for the info i will look into what u have suggested.

playing ark at the moment and fan speed reached 3450rpm and temp went to 67% and yeah this is loud right now, played other games and it doesnt go nowhere near this high or loud seams to be mainly ark. so i guess i would go into the manual setting to change the speed. and no its not overclocked as i never been brave enough to overclock anything lol.

also is everyone using water coolers for their cpus these days i see them everywhere but i still use a cooler i bought off ocuk.

Associate
thanks for the info i will look into what u have suggested.

playing ark at the moment and fan speed reached 3450rpm and temp went to 67% and yeah this is loud right now, played other games and it doesnt go nowhere near this high or loud seams to be mainly ark. so i guess i would go into the manual setting to change the speed. and no its not overclocked as i never been brave enough to overclock anything lol.

also is everyone using water coolers for their cpus these days i see them everywhere but i still use a cooler i bought off ocuk.

Yup told ya! The game has it's issues..poor optimisation (amongst other things). But if you're having fun then I guess that's the most important thing. :D

About the Air VS Water for cooling CPUs, you are definitely not alone.
I am still on air for my CPU cooling and I have yet to make the jump to 'liquid'...I dunno but something about Water and Electric components, just raises warning flags for me...so I will stick to air for a bit longer, and many do.

never gone over 69c!!

So does this mean you changed the fan curve, reduced the noise and never gone above 69C ?

Associate
OP
never even had to go into wattman before since this started and from the video i watched on youtube it was totally different and only had 1 slide option.

https://imgur.com/a/PoWMybn

not sure what part of that i change as it says fan and temp section ?

. yeah i dont like the sound of water at all lol in the pc

Associate
never even had to go into wattman before since this started and from the video i watched on youtube it was totally different and only had 1 slide option.

https://imgur.com/a/PoWMybn

not sure what part of that i change as it says fan and temp section ?

. yeah i dont like the sound of water at all lol in the pc

It will look a bit different depending on the version of the app.

I have 3 options on mine [Radeon Software Version 18.12.1].
(I specifically did not upgrade to Adrenalin 2019 edition because ReLive Recording/Streaming issues to do with my 144Hz monitor).

Which version do you have? As I can see on the image you provided, there are notifications in the top right, probs for updating the app/chipset drivers?

With the current version that you have:
Using the image provided, that "Fan & Temperature" windows with the Yellow line, that is your fan curve.
[moving up the points on the yellow bar = increasing fanspeed]
[try to set it up so that you don't surpass 50-60% fanspeed up to 70C]
[the next line above this - ramp up your fanspeed to 80% at the 80C mark]
[next - try a game for 5-10 minutes while leaving the AMD app open in the background, ALT+TAB in & out to monitor where your GPU's Temps/Fanspeed 'settle']

What you're looking for is the ideal place where your temps plateau, but at the lowest fanspeed - and whatever you do, do not allow the end of that curve (+80C) to have anything less than 80-99% fanspeed) because if you just create a flat line of 60% fanspeed the whole length of that yellow bar, if the fans aren't enough to keep your GPU cool, temps will rise and eventually your GPU will shutdown to prevent thermal overload.

Hit "Apply" to apply each fan curve and play around with it to get a feel of what % of fanspeed is acceptable noise levels for you.

This should all be down in Global Management, but the AMD Radeon Settings are cool, because you can add customised fan settings for each game.

Any more questions, just post.

:)

Associate
OP
hi

yeah im on 18.12.2 and today it offered me the 19. update which i have not done and all the charts always point to 12.1 so thats why i was having problems find info on how to do the fan curve as they only showed people moving 2 sliders up and down not 5 on a graph. the first 2 yellow dots from left to right

1st 30c/38%,
2nd 50c/38%.
3rd 60c/62%
4th 76c/75%
5th 85c/80%

is that ok and does that mean if the temp goes between 50-60c it will ramp fan speed upto 62%

at the moment im playing yup Ark lol and the temp is at 56c and fan is at 1398rpm

Soldato
Remove the stock fans and mount 2 120mm case fans to the stock heatsink. I did that to my 480 and it was super quiet :D

I wish they came like that from the factory.

Associate
hi

yeah im on 18.12.2 and today it offered me the 19. update which i have not done and all the charts always point to 12.1 so thats why i was having problems find info on how to do the fan curve as they only showed people moving 2 sliders up and down not 5 on a graph. the first 2 yellow dots from left to right

1st 30c/38%,
2nd 50c/38%.
3rd 60c/62%
4th 76c/75%
5th 85c/80%

is that ok and does that mean if the temp goes between 50-60c it will ramp fan speed upto 62%

at the moment im playing yup Ark lol and the temp is at 56c and fan is at 1398rpm
seam to jump from 60c to 68c quite a lot so fans i can hear going up and down a lot so i guess i need to change it a little,
no it went to 66c and fans went to 2460
Hi,
What it means, when you set your fanspeed to 50-60C at 38-62%, is that at 50C your fanspeed will be at 38% and at 51C it will be at ~41% and keep climbing incrementally with every 1C..

It is normal to hear the fans ramps up once it getd hot, then witb higher fanspeed the temps go down, the fanspeed drops and temps go back up...it will keep on doing this...what your job is, is to find that spot (% of fanspeed) where it will stay at that speed and not go up/down/up..and because each card is different (different overclocks/heatsink sizes/fan quality) you really need to play around with it to find that sweetspot.

Also Nasher made a really good suggestion about swapping the fans out for better quality ones (or just other ones) as sometimes your other case fans may be more quiet at higher RPM and many of these high end RX580 models (reddevil/sapphire/strix) have detachable fans for quick swapping/cleaning..etc..

Remove the stock fans and mount 2 120mm case fans to the stock heatsink. I did that to my 480 and it was super quiet :D

I wish they came like that from the factory.

Experiment with that fan curve....try to find the sweetspot..if this helps, if were to guess where that woulf be, based on the info you said, it woulf probably be about 65-70% fanspeed where it has enough airflow to cool the card.

Oh and there is another option that can REALLY help, and that is undervolting your card...wher.e you basically reduce the voltage in (mv/millivolts) by tiny amounts..but keep the same frequency/boost speeds... As most cards come with too much voltage anyways.

I am sure you can reduce the voltage a bit without any instability and you will see an immediate reduction in temperature..
Worth a try, don't you think?
(this is the overclockers forums afterall) ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks so much for all the help and ur time on this, it all makes sense now and i seam to have the hang of this i just didnt want to mess something up that i hadn't used before and ruin something so all this info as been great. i haven't messed with the voltage yet which i dont know if i need to, but there is a voltage option in the memory and gpu section and in the fan section it says power?

thanks again

Associate
No probs. ;)

I use the manual option for overclocking/undervolting, it has it's own section where you can specifically target a certain voltage limit/requirement.

Think of a GPU like a CPU, where it has different 'STATES' / 'C-STATES' / 'POWER STATES', like these:
Idle frequency: (300/333mhz) = GPU in this state when you're using your PC for non-graphically intesive workloads like web/folder browsing/using basic apps.
Frequencies under load: (several power states/options) (mine is 1411Mhz or 1430Mhz or 1450Mhz or my overclocked one).
You want to select Manual Voltage limits and you should see a bar similarly to your Fanspeed curve, but for voltage (you may need to update your Drivers to a later version to see this..and I highly recommend Adrenalin 2019 version, as long as you don't see any issues with the app, cuz they added a lot of really cool features).

Something like: for Idle frequencies level you'll get 800-900mz // for 'under load' frequency, you'll get 1120mv or higher.

This is what you want to reduce, the one under load (you could always get MSI Afterburner as it has a slider for the voltage, which is easier to use than Wattman, but it may mess with your fanspeed curves that you created.

What you do is reduce the mv by tiny increments (move it 1 step lower, so if you have 1120mz, it becomes 1100mv, or whatever.

You could also, alternatively just reduce the Power Limit slider bar (works in Percentages %), this basically reduces the amount of "total gpu power draw, in watts" I believe (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong please, thanks!), reducing it also by only 1 step (-5% or -10%) will help your total GPU Power Consumption not get as high, but you might see a slight drop in frequencies for your GPU (meaning a little less performance).

This is why I usually recommend the 'undervolting' technique..as you can keep the frequencies and performance you are currently have, yet consumer less power, and as a result produce less heat, so you can lower your fanspeed even lower. :)
Some instability is expected, so stress-testing your GPU is recommended, if undervolting, but all it will do is crash/freeze the GPU, and upon reset, your undervolting settings will revert back to stock settings (that reminds me..save a profile of your custom Fanspeed Curve before undrevolting, or else you'll have to set it up all over again, if you lose the settings from a GPU system freeze from undervolting too far

If all this isn't clear, I would need a couple of images of the complete Wattman Control Panel (all options visible, when scrolling up/down), to see exactly what options are available to you.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom