Super Mario Kart (SNES) Time Trial Challenge

Soldato
With the release of the SNES Mini, I've found myself transported 20 years back in time and hammering Mario Kart once again (the greatest racer ever made imo) and it feels like I've managed to carry it on from where I left off, I've still got the 'skills' :D I'm sure many others like myself felt they were untouchable back in the day on the time trial challenges with their fastest times and laps, on their fave circuits etc.

Screenshot required and I'll start up a leader board for each circuit but Mario Circuit 1, Ghost Valley 1 and Rainbow Road were the most popular I think. Rainbow Road is essential with it being the toughest one to master; to unlock it without completing the game simply go to time trial and move the cursor over Mushroom Cup and press: L R L R L L R R a

I'll put my times up this evening for the above 3 circuits, get racing folks... :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
mario_kart_snes_classic_03.jpg

Mario Circuit 1

1. nolan2993 1'00''88
2. e36Adz 1'01''22
3. ShiWarrior 1'11''61

Best Lap:

nolan2993 0'12''03

Ghost Valley 1

1. e36Adz 1'08''34
2. Ripper 1'15''86

Best Lap:

e36Adz 0'13''53

Rainbow Road

1. e36Adz 1'30''70

Best Lap:
e36Adz 0'17''78

20171021_215357.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry guys, I meant the snes mini, of course the snes original is okay too.

Uploading my times now...

20171015_124622.jpg

20171015_124637.jpg

20171015_124733.jpg

Images were quite large so put them behind spoiler tags, played MC1 quite a bit getting those times but not so much the other 2 circuits yet. I figured the mini had to be running the US rom because it took me years to break 1'01 on the original SNES many moons ago, and I got it fairly quickly on the mini so I think I can hit 1 minute...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To make things simpler, just use any SNES console be it UK/NTSC. I'm sure most of us are playing on the mini anyway. Let's see some times :) Forgot to add lap times in, will do shortly.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to others getting involved, getting very lonely on the leaderboard atm :p

Tip 1: Use DK or Bowser if you want to even compete for a good time.
Tip 2: Get a ghost and keep racing it to shave off milliseconds.

My God is it difficult to stay focused especially when you hear the sound for final lap and you know you're on for a decent time. Here's a short clip of me just now, was racing my ghost for the 1'32''26 time listed above and was a fair bit ahead but bottled it on the last lap. I reckon I can beat 1 min 30 seconds, just require time and PATIENCE!

Soldato
OP
Can't we use a cycle accurate emulator like higan? It's more accurate to real snes hardware than a mini is.

Hmm, with the lack of participants we may have to allow emulators. It's just that when I searched on youtube for Mario Circuit 1 time trials to see what sort of times are possible, I saw cheats where players are racing through the dirt with DK and getting a ridiculous time, which I know isn't possible on the 'normal' version of the game. I assumed it was some hack via an emulator? I don't suspect many people on here would be that bothered to cheat anyway and it'd be good to have more people someone else playing :p so those who can only play via emulator feel free to join in.

Soldato
OP
Wtf there's no way you can go through the dirt like that, you pretty much grind to a halt!?! I'm going to try it when I play next but that just doesn't seem right to me.

Soldato
OP
I'm a noob, I never knew most of this. It seems to have added a whole new dimension to the game. Just watched Sami Cetin take on Florent Lecoanet in SMK World Championships and it's ridiculous, they are both absolute beasts.

Soldato
OP
It's given me some inspiration anyway lol, I will keep trying to smash 1'30 on rainbow road then I can end my MK career a happy man. Iv just got a new lap record and I can edge in front of my ghost comfortably but can't maintain it for 5 laps, eventually I'll nail it.

I think I tried MK on the n64 but it just never had the same feel as the Snes version for me and I never touched another MK. I always felt this one was gameplay perfection and no racer ever equalled it for me.

Soldato
OP
It's just practice, switch to dk or bowser and try it :) Make sure you get the boost start by only pressing and holding accelerate between the first two lights, if you get the failed slow start you were too early. Added your time to the list, not bad your second!!!!! :p

Soldato
OP
Hi and welcome Sami :) Didn't know this thread would attract a SMK LEGEND!

I personally just lack the time nowadays if I'm honest, but if there are ever any upcoming SMK events in the Manchester area, please do message me and I will do my best to turn up. As far as the off road boosting goes, I wish I'd have known about that 20 years ago. I'd be intrigued to know your fastest time on Mario Circuit 1, but ON-track only, PAL version? It is possible to break 1 minute because I remember I never could.

My snes mini has been passed on to my kids. Not sure why but I just wanted them growing up playing the same games that I grew up on - they love mario kart and bomberman in particular.

Back
Top Bottom