Superbikes you can remap for lower power?

Soldato
I'm 37 and passed my test last month. I have a 636. And it cost 415 to insure for the year.
I'm pretty sure they're classed as a sports tourer by insurance rather than a full sports bike, same as the CBR600f which I also considered as my first bike when I passed my test, insurance was about £500 for me at the time.

A 'proper' sports bike like a daytona, cbr600rr etc were all about £1200-1500 to insure.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm 33 and it cost me £500 to insure a 2017 SV650. I fancied an R6 for for literally years before doing the test, then the closer I got to my test the less I found myself wanting it for commuting.

Don't get me wrong, I got the SV knowing I'd probably end up getting a sports bike in future but fancied building up to it when I felt I could ride it "properly".

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I can get insured for 500 full comp on a R1 4c8. :p

Edit: That's a future quote with 1 year NCB at the age of 21.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure they're classed as a sports tourer by insurance rather than a full sports bike, same as the CBR600f which I also considered as my first bike when I passed my test, insurance was about £500 for me at the time.

A 'proper' sports bike like a daytona, cbr600rr etc were all about £1200-1500 to insure.

Is this a joke?

The 636 is on par with the daytona 675. The 636 was (and may still be - not sure) the most powerful 600cc sportsbike for quite a while.

Also, my cousin passed his test at 24 (he's a bit older than me) and insured a zx6r(albeit the 600cc engine) for around £400.

Soldato
bhp & torque figures show this simply isn't the case - going by the spec sheets a daytona is a little higher on both. I'm hardly an avid connaiseur of either of these bikes but what makes you think it's "a joke"?

For 2016, the ZX6R (636) engine output is around 135bhp, with the Daytona 675 at 128bhp.

Labelling the ZX6R or the Daytona as sports tourers is laughable. Sure, they can do tours (I was in south of France 3 weeks ago on mine), but they are all-out sports bikes.

I agree with TallPaul_S, the Kawasaki is cheaper to insure but I can't tell why - but trying to decipher the logic of insurance companies isn't worth the hassle. I had a conversation with a few fellow Kawasaki riders on holiday, and they too noticed that Kawasakis in general are usually cheaper to insure and they were riding ZZR1400s.

Soldato
Thedinks has an 05 (i think) or thereabouts 636 so not one of the new ones.
Yeah I got an 05, it's a cracking bike. The 05/06 model was the last 636 as they returned to 600cc for homologation reasons from 07-13 when they brought it back as it made a great road engine with strong mid-range. The 2013-2016 model is just as cheap for me to insure as I was looking at buying one, but it doesn't offer much more than my 05 already does.

Soldato
Going back to OP - If you like the sporty looking bikes there are still a few styles to choose from. For example there are two types of CBR600. The CBR600RR is the full on sports version, being much more track focused. The CBR600F is a softer version of this with a similar engine (until recently) but with a more comfy seat, softer suspension and you're not so leant forward - but is still good for 155 ish (I think that's all the differences anyway).

Other manufacturers do similar so it's upto you at this point to find what you like the look of and then what you like the feel/behaviour of. Tick these boxes and the other things like insurance just become formalities to get just done and out the way.

Soldato
Uhm SV650 has the same (if not a tiny bit more) torque than an R6 and way lower down, so imho a much better street riding engine. It's going to accelerate faster from a standstill (it's also a bit lighter). Obviously higher you go up the revs slowly the R6 will take off, but i'm not sure why someone would ever choose a small 4cylinder over a twin for street riding, obviously each to their own!

Yea agree.

Narrow power bands are not great for street. Obviously on a track or racing the R6 is far superior in every way to an SV650, but for street having low and mid end torque is much more practical. Upright seating position, no farings (on a naked anyway) make servicing easier whole host of reasons why I would not take an R6.

Plus a v-twin sounds much more manly then a smaller in line 4 which sounds like a really ****** off cricket.

Some guys like sportsbike though, and if we were all the same the world would be boring.

Back
Top Bottom