Superfetch On Or Off?

Man of Honour
performance.

vista just seemed to be sluggish on my system... so disabling what would be useful services helped keep it up to speed.

with win7 i dont have that issue...it all just works a lot snappier

I couldn't disagree more. I've used Vista since Nov 2006 and superfetch never affected performance to a noticeable effect.

Soldato
Vista took the micheal a little bit with memory usage, and i do believe it is rather excessive considering Windows 7 performs quicker and uses up a good 25-40% less memory. I'd leave it on any system that has 2gb+ on Windows 7, and 4gb+ on Vista.

At the moment Win7 32-bit (4gb) on my laptop is using 720mb of memory. On my desktop with 8gb, it peaks at just over 1gb idle.

The one thing i always turn off though is indexing. I never use it and it just constantly slows your machine down. Its the first thing i disable. :o

Soldato
performance.

vista just seemed to be sluggish on my system... so disabling what would be useful services helped keep it up to speed.

I couldn't disagree more. I've used Vista since Nov 2006 and superfetch never affected performance to a noticeable effect.

yes it does, but it does it in a good way, gives you a quicker os :p

without superfetch, I would have stayed with XP instead of using Vista

well im not going to argue with you both....if you cant accept someone else had a different experience as to yourselves then everything i said would fall on deaf ears.

Soldato
performance.

On for sure on my Vista and Win7,infact even my Vista x64 is fast with Superfetch on,no reason to turn it off IMHO,btw I'm using old X2 3800+ CPU and its still fast even on Vista :).I personally think Superfetch is one of the better features for Vista and Win7.

Soldato
On for sure on my Vista and Win7,infact even my Vista x64 is fast with Superfetch on,no reason to turn it off IMHO,btw I'm using old X2 3800+ CPU and its still fast even on Vista :).I personally think Superfetch is one of the better features for Vista and Win7.

im not saying its a bad feature as everything runs very smooth with win7....it was just vista 32bit that seemed to take forever to load and wasnt very responsive so disabling certain features helped make it a lot snappier.

but this is just my experience. i guess vista just didnt work aswell for everyone.

Soldato
im not saying its a bad feature as everything runs very smooth with win7....it was just vista 32bit that seemed to take forever to load and wasnt very responsive so disabling certain features helped make it a lot snappier.

but this is just my experience. i guess vista just didnt work aswell for everyone.

I have Superfetch enabled on my Vista x86 laptop too, again fast and no issues,normally you find its 3rd party bloatware is the main cause of issues with any OS.

Soldato
No it's not. Programs still need to be moved from SSD to RAM to be used and that takes time.

So why do Microsoft say when Windows 7 detects a SSD it disables all forms of prefetching then?

Are you saying Microsoft are wrong?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-solid-state-drives-ssd,7717.html

When a solid state drive is present, Windows 7 will disable disk defragmentation, Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching.

“These technologies were all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read performance could easily be a major bottleneck,” explained Fortin.

[edit]

From the blog itself

Will Superfetch be disabled on SSDs?

Yes, for most systems with SSDs.

If the system disk is an SSD, and the SSD performs adequately on random reads and doesn’t have glaring performance issues with random writes or flushes, then Superfetch, boot prefetching, application launch prefetching, ReadyBoost and ReadDrive will all be disabled.

Initially, we had configured all of these features to be off on all SSDs, but we encountered sizable performance regressions on some systems. In root causing those regressions, we found that some first generation SSDs had severe enough random write and flush problems that ultimately lead to disk reads being blocked for long periods of time. With Superfetch and other prefetching re-enabled, performance on key scenarios was markedly improved.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The thing is, most SSD's sold recently have been of the slow performance variety (with the exception of the Intels). Recent controllers have upped the game markedly, but I would leave windows to manage it rather than assuming SSD = turn superfetch off.

Back
Top Bottom