Supporting SLI

Soldato
Hi all

I'm considering getting a new GPU for my build over the next couple of weeks once ive sold some old parts that I have...

I've seen a lot on the forum about 2x1060 is a really powerful combination.. I've read on the 1060 specs that it doesn't support SLI so how do people go about getting the 2 working together...

I'm really considering giving my system a bit of UMPH! Buy one 1060 now and another in a few weeks...

What you reckon?

Associate
What you reckon?

I think VR SLI is still a bit of a non-starter atm. AFAIK (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but SLI needs to be directly supported using something like nVidia VRWorks (which can render each eye using a different card), and at the moment, pretty much nothing does. Without direct support, having 2 cards will give you no benefit in VR as things stand.

I'd go for the single fastest GPU that you can.

Soldato
OP
I think VR SLI is still a bit of a non-starter atm. AFAIK (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but SLI needs to be directly supported using something like nVidia VRWorks (which can render each eye using a different card), and at the moment, pretty much nothing does. Without direct support, having 2 cards will give you no benefit in VR as things stand.

I'd go for the single fastest GPU that you can.

I may see if I can pick up a 1070 for a decent price or may even get a 1060 6GB on MM for a bargain.. Just use a single card for now and save up for a 1080 as they wil drop when newer card ie VEGA gets released

Associate
1070 isn't enough for good vr

It's easily good enough for most stuff out there atm. If you want to start cranking up the supersampling to silly levels, then yeah, you're going to want to go higher, but at the moment, it's enough for most of the content out there, a lot of which is built around Oculus and Valve recommended specs (which are lower than a 1070).

Back
Top Bottom