Surface Pro 6 v Laptop

Soldato
I can't make my mind up where to go with this; I'm looking at a Surface Pro 6 @ £879.00 and wondering if my money would be better spent on a laptop? I'd like to be able to hook up to a 2560*1440 monitor, but other than that, as long as it's i5 and at least 8GB/128GB SSD then it'll probably tick my boxes.

Spec me a laptop to rival the SP6?

Soldato
We have a couple of Surface devices for testing at work and most people have tried to use and love them and given up just after a few days and gone back to using lower spec laptops.

My main issue was not being able to use the surface with keyboard on the lap while sat on a sofa. It's not stable.

With the keyboard detached it's too heavy to use as a tablet plus the OS isn't optimised for pen or touch support.

If you haven't used a surface device borrow one if available and see how you get one. Ours are collecting dust.

Soldato
What do you want to do with the device?

Where will you use it? How will you use it?

then i can better answer your question.

But i would not but buy either a laptop or surface pro with less then 8GB and 256GB hd, unless its just for surfing and general computing.

Soldato
I got one from the MM and I love it, the price was good also.

I use mine on my lap, keyboard is essential. it’s mainly used for movie watching at bedtime. It’s a Pro 3, i5 8gb /256 and it’s rapid. I threw in a 200GB sd card also.

I actually prefer it to the new iPad 12.9.

At £879 I may look at something else.

Soldato
OP
I want to use it mainly for plugging into a monitor and using as a PC (dual screen). I want the versatility of using it on a desk with wireless keyboard and mouse. I would like to be able to lie in bed and watch movies on it, so will be disappointing if it'll be too heavy for that.

P.s. I travel a lot and need a mobile office.

Soldato
I own both surface pro and laptop and for programming I prefer laptop but for surfing web and taking notes, reading pdf and just general office stuff i prefer the surface book.

It will be fine as a tablet, yes its a tiny bit on the heavy side for a true android replacement but the larger screen and the flexibility of window over android is worth it.

I think you will be fine with it for your use, granted its not perfect but the negatives ate minor.

You will love watching movies on large screen. Only issue is resting it on your lap sitting in a chair or couch. Its difficult but not impossible, personally myself was too annoying.

You will get used to the weight after a while but holding the tablet with one hand for long periods is fatiguing, me i just rest it on my abdomen in bed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, the 128gb SSD - wouldn't that be fine if backed up by microSD or an external hard drive?

depends on how much programs you want to install, how many games, ect.

Its really depends on your usage. 256GB to play it safe but 128gb is workable specially if using external hard drive.

Soldato
P.s. I travel a lot and need a mobile office.
That's basically place for laptop with proper keyboard and not for some media consuming device...
With disposable design including even soldered SSD so that you can't get data out if device breaks:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+6+Teardown/113786

If you want to be able to lie in bed on your back and hold device in you hands, then it would need really light weight for it to be work without tiring your hands.
Supporting it on your stomache would be different thing.

But i would not but buy either a laptop or surface pro with less then 8GB and 256GB hd, unless its just for surfing and general computing.
I wouldn't accept less than 8GB even for web surfing.
After Wintoys10 and usual background softwares there won't be much of memory left for browser to open much of tabs especially if web sites are modernly bloated.
Linux would work better with 4GB.

Soldato
OP
I thought this was a good alternative with a couple hundred quid saving over the Surface. I know it's 1080p which is probably a bit of a compromise, but it's 256GB storage and I think 14" screen might be just right?

Google:

Dell Inspiron 14 3480 Laptop, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14" Full HD
£629.99

Soldato
Damn I hate Dell's model naming, it's just so hard to look for reviews and deduct what is related to what...
Not sure if some related models have even been sold under Latitude name or if it differs between geographical areas.:confused:
Well, I guess all of them have annoying small arrow keys if you need those in mobile use.

There aren't much of very high resolution displays in cheaper laptops.
And 15 something inch models are definitely bulky and usually heavy for lots of traveling.
So better to put limit to that 14".

If you're interested on some other functionality in additiona to stadanrd laptop features, then "convertible/2 in 1" laptops would be one option.
Those have touch screen and 360 degree hinge.
https://youtu.be/HCjUeqoNF3U?t=6m

Soldato
Can they output higher resolution to a second screen?
My previous decade old Thinkpad T500 could do 2560x1600@60Hz, thanks to it having DisplayPort output.
(instead of at that time total lackluster HDMI)

It's harder to find full specifications for many laptops, but for example Lenovo lists them well and now typically supports three independent screens up to 4096x2304@60Hz:
https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sy...hinkPad_L380_Yoga_Platform_Specifications.pdf
(my X1 Yoga supports up to 5120x2880@60Hz)

Soldato
The price/performance is terrible on Surface Pro's, I had a Pro 4, ended up a gimmick for me, I've let the GF have it, I much prefer a 15" powerful laptop with gaming capability. Touch screen and inking just a gimmick too.

Soldato
OP
So, first impressions of Surface Pro 6 are really good. I was wondering though, if I kept this for a week and then decided it wasn't performing to expectations then how would the return be handled? I understand I have 14 days to make a decision, but would I have to wipe the software to factory settings etc.. Has anyone (reading this) had experience of returning a device like this?

Edit to add: there is no way this device is too heavy to use as a tablet for watching movies etc; I'm actually surprised at how light it is as I was expecting it to be heavier than this.

Soldato
So, first impressions of Surface Pro 6 are really good. I was wondering though, if I kept this for a week and then decided it wasn't performing to expectations then how would the return be handled? I understand I have 14 days to make a decision, but would I have to wipe the software to factory settings etc.. Has anyone (reading this) had experience of returning a device like this?

I would 1000000% wipe to factory settings so nothing secure is on there or passwords etc..

Soldato

Edit to add: there is no way this device is too heavy to use as a tablet for watching movies etc; I'm actually surprised at how light it is as I was expecting it to be heavier than this.

Phone john lewis and ask them to be 100% but its 30 day return policy. Just make sure you phone and ask. I assume you bought this online? If you bought them in store the
return policy might be different in such situations.

Just make sure factory reset it before sending it as mentioned by willihub.

Back
Top Bottom