Surveillance drives for video and photography storage

Associate
So my WD Red have done me well for many years, but coming to the point where I'm not sure I trust them not to fail soon and I've acquired 3x Toshiba Surveillance S300 10TB drives that in theory would do as nice replacements. I've done some reading and it seems like the only real difference is the level of error checking that happens, but if I've got a pair in RAID 1 that should counteract this to some extent. Currently I'm looking to put them into my QNAP TS-230, but I'm considering building my self a little home server where I'd use all three in RAID5.

My question is has anyone used these drives (or equiv) for a similar use and do you have any suggestions or feedback?

Associate
No direct experience with them but looking at similar surveillance drives one of the key differences to other HDD's is they tend to be optimised for continous write and not bursty write loads or read loads.

Probably more importantly: a reminder that raid 1 with 2 drives will only flag an error, it cannot attempt automatically correct the value. You need 3 drives or more in the array to be able to spot a single drive error and for the drives to "vote" on what's correct. The only edge case on that I guess is if one of the 2 totally dies then there's a majority of one anyway in the vote...

Associate
OP
No direct experience with them but looking at similar surveillance drives one of the key differences to other HDD's is they tend to be optimised for continous write and not bursty write loads or read loads.

Probably more importantly: a reminder that raid 1 with 2 drives will only flag an error, it cannot attempt automatically correct the value. You need 3 drives or more in the array to be able to spot a single drive error and for the drives to "vote" on what's correct. The only edge case on that I guess is if one of the 2 totally dies then there's a majority of one anyway in the vote...
Thanks I was not aware of that, but it makes a lot of sense having a validation drive. So I guess I'd be foolish to use these in RAID 1, but set them up as RAID 5 might be a possibility.

Anyone else had any first hand experience? (Good or bad)

Associate
Thanks I was not aware of that, but it makes a lot of sense having a validation drive. So I guess I'd be foolish to use these in RAID 1, but set them up as RAID 5 might be a possibility.

Anyone else had any first hand experience? (Good or bad)
If read performance is critical then RAID 1 is OK (I would only ever personally RAID with 3 drives or more regardless of RAID type but I have terrible luck with sisk drive endurance).

I usually use RAID 6 personally as that balances resilience to failure, storage size and accounts for my terrible luck :cry:

Don
I've done some reading and it seems like the only real difference is the level of error checking that happens, but if I've got a pair in RAID 1 that should counteract this to some extent. Currently I'm looking to put them into my QNAP TS-230, but I'm considering building my self a little home server where I'd use all three in RAID5.
Whilst it true about them being optimised for video streaming, the error correction behaviour can be considerably different to either desktop drives or specific NAS drives.
- Desktop drives upon encountering an error will continue to retry reading the data, in the hope that they can recover the data (during this time the drive is basically unavailable and is what causes desktop drives to drop out of RAID arrays)
- NAS drives upon encountering an error, normally don't try and recover the data - they immediately report the error back to the raid controller (either hardware or software), and that makes a decision what to do (e.g. recover from another copy in RAID1, or reconstruct using Parity in RAID5/6)
- Surveillance and drives used in e.g. TV Set top boxes often just ignore the error - particularly when writing (as what does it matter if a frame of a CCTV or TV recording is missing - you just get a tiny glitch in playback), in theory meaning that a RAID controller may not get the expected results to be able to make a "safe" decision.

I personally wouldn't consider using them for important data.

That's not exactly correct - Drives don't vote - it's up to the RAID controller (either hardware or software) to make that decision

RAID5 isn't a great choice for important storage (although with any type of storage make sure you have a separate backup), as RAID5 rebuilds for larger disks take a long time (and during which they put more strain on the remaining disks, which increases the chance of another failure)

If you are looking at building a home server anyway - then Unraid is often a much better option. It offers the reliability of a RAID5 (i.e. parity protection of data), but data isn't striped, and is stored conventionally on disk, so even if several disks fail - you can still read the remaining disks.

Associate
That's not exactly correct - Drives don't vote - it's up to the RAID controller (either hardware or software) to make that decision

Yeah, fair point I should have been clearer on where that activity happens.

RAID5 isn't a great choice for important storage (although with any type of storage make sure you have a separate backup), as RAID5 rebuilds for larger disks take a long time (and during which they put more strain on the remaining disks, which increases the chance of another failure)

Fully agree and I would always encouraging folks to follow the 3-2-1 rule; it's much less painful and costly in the long run for anything you can't afford to lose!

Associate
OP
Thanks that's very helpful.

I actually just downloaded a version of TrueNAS to try (it was originally going to be a MS Server box, but thought I might mix it up). Have you had much experience with TrueNAS and would it be suitable for these drives in this 'not ideal, but plausible' use case?

Don
I actually just downloaded a version of TrueNAS to try (it was originally going to be a MS Server box, but thought I might mix it up). Have you had much experience with TrueNAS and would it be suitable for these drives in this 'not ideal, but plausible' use case?
I've not tried truenas for a long time, but it was always very good (although personally think ZFS was always over hyped).

I don't think it's a "not ideal, but plausible" use case - I simply wouldn't use these drives for anything that I couldn't afford to lose.

Back
Top Bottom