Sushi! Any tips?

Permabanned
So, I finally got around to trying Sushi last Thursday for the first time in my life. I was instantly hooked! It was cheap, Tesco brought pre packaged stuff, most likely heretical for all proper Sushi lovers but regardless, a new passion was born!

I went out on Saturday and brought everything I'd need to make basic Sushi rolls.

Sushi Rice
Rice vinegar
Crab meat (awful imitation stuff)
Nori
Ginger for pickling
Bamboo rolling mat

First few attempts where poor... I never realised there was a correct side to prepare the filling on so it never held together. However, after a few attempts and a couple videos it started to come together.

The whole process was immensely satisfying. The prep, whilst simple in theory, was gratifyingly difficult and I felt a sense of satisfaction I've not known before when I finally started to dig in.

However, there's always room to improve! It was a basic first effort at best and the tools and ingredients at hand where average. Can anyone give me any tips as to where I can source great, fresh, flash frozen fish? I have zero fishmongers near me aside from the one in my local Morrison's. How's about general ingredients and vegetable filling? I also need a good, sharp, hard wearing knife. I learnt that my biggest issue was having the Nori tear because my knives where so dull.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Soldato
We use finely julienned carrot, cucumber, and spring onions as veg. I suppose you could use sweet peppers, even chillis. We add poppy or sesame seeds for flavour. I keep looking for the orange dried fish roe powder but haven't found it yet. We use tuna, salmon, and crab as protein.

Permabanned
OP
Cheers guys! Made it a few times since my initial post and getting better each time. Made the jump to Cali rolls after finding some nice fresh tuna to spice. Much prefer them to the traditional rolls.

Still need to get a decent blade though. Mine just seem to be far to soft edged. They dull after the first few rolls have been cut up :(

Soldato
Japanese fish mongers sell really good quality fresh fish

I was surprised to see the Sainsbury/Waitrose tuna packet in the picture, is it viable to use any raw fish from them, for making sushi.

I had not realised the below ,so, probably that was Sashimi from the Japanese monger ?

There are three grades of Tuna available
  1. Sashimi
  2. Loin
  3. Can
Sashimi grade Tuna is the one where the fish which is caught alive is killed using "Ikejime" process to ensure the meat remains as pristine as live. The process involves sliding a spike between the eyes of the fish into its brain to make the fish brain dead and there by ensure minimum movements in fish and thereby not consume any ATP which will make the meat taste sour. Secondly, this also ensures that the blood does not seep into the muscle but instead remain in gut cavity to ensure there is no change in the colour of the meat and there by does not turn into dark brown coloured meat but remains as translucent pink, the way meat is when it is live.

It is available both in chilled as well as Frozen forms and the Frozen Sashimi Grade Tuna is generally frozen and maintained at temperatures less than - 80 Degrees Centigrade until consumption, while the chilled one is maintained at around 2 Degrees Centigrade until consumption.

Now, if a fish is not killed following the Ikejime process, then it is not Sashimi grade. The fresh Tuna in the Waitrose counter is Loin grade, which once caught is left to die and stored in Ice, hence not Sashimi grade and hence should not be used to make Sashimi.

(yes the item is a trueism - you need Sashimi to make Sashimi, and the use of raw Loin for Sushi is not broached)

Associate
Mate, that's amazing! How much would something like this cost (shop brought or from your good self)?
Something like this £220 ish for the knife dependant on blade and handle materials £250 with a simple saya. Custom, one off, hand made knives aren't cheap compared to off the shelf mass produced items. That one cost me £75 in materials, abrasives, glue etc just to make. I don't think I even break minimum wage on the hours put in lol. That one was about 3 days work. Thankfully as I get more work out there and become more well known as a bladesmith I can increase prices accordingly :)

Back
Top Bottom