Suspected nepotism/malpractice in public sector recruitment

Associate
I have some concerns regarding a recent interview process at a university where I work. There has certainly been some unethical activity but I wonder if anything could actually be illegal. Circumstances are laid out below.

1) A person in the position of SCRUM master (agile project manager) on a high paying two year contract is departing and a replacement is immediately sought. The post is advertised only INTERNALLY and only for 6 DAYS (this isn't a realistic amount of time to garner interest, let alone write and submit an application).

2) The job spec specified that the successful applicant must possess the SCRUM master qualification which can be attained in a week. Only 3 people possess this qualification within the organisation at this time. All have been sent on the training course by the current SCRUM master (the individual who is leaving). Person 1 has recently been appointed to a senior role and so can be considered ineligible (this person is also on the interview panel). Person 2 is on maternity leave and has announced her departure from the organisation. Person 3 is a close friend of the departing SCRUM master and recently attained the qualification on his advice and under his supervision.

3) The departing SCRUM master was involved in shortlisting and was on the interview panel. It has been an open secret at the organisation that he favours Person 3 for the role and he has previously said off record that only 3 people are eligible for the role based on the information above.

4) After 6 days, the advert was removed and I have been informed that Person 3 has been awarded the job and that there was one other interviewee. I know this interviewee is neither Persons 1 or 2.

5) The job spec states that essential criteria amongst other things is the SCRUM qualification and project manager experience as well as experience of working as a SCRUM master. Person 3 does not possess project manager experience and has not worked as a SCRUM master so they certainly fail to meet that criteria. I suspect that the second interviewee would have possessed project manager experience but lacked the SCRUM qualification (which can be attained in a week). Since no one in the organisation could have met all of this criteria, I question the logic of advertising internally.

6) Person 3 was recently awarded a pay grade raise (from grade 5 to 6) by the departing SCRUM master on the grounds that they manage staff (Person 3 managed one person in former role and was received very badly).

7) Now that Person 3 has been awarded the role of SCRUM master, they have risen 4 pay grades in a period less than 2 years under the tutelage of the outgoing SCRUM master. To give perspective, this is around £29k to £60k in the period. This is unheard of at the organisation. It could not be argued that Person 3 has performed in a way that would warrant such a rapid progression.

I wonder if anyone has experienced something like this before in a public sector organisation? I'm certain that it's favouritism and know that to be commonplace in the private sector but I do wonder if there is anything that could be challenged here.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this. I appreciate your help.

Associate
OP
The only aspect that affects me is that I will inherit the responsibility of the promoted person (i was not interested in the role in question). I suspect they'll now disregard that position (it was on an increased pay grade) and will expect the responsibility to be absorbed by me on existing salary.

Back
Top Bottom