asrock xtreme z68 mobo
ati 6950
corsair xms3 1600 ram 2x4gb
intel 320 160gb SSD
2x 1tb samsung spinpoint HDD.
thermalright silver arrow
corsair tx750m psu

now here's the problem:

At random instances in time my computer freezes and makes a loud screetching sound for like a second and then goes back to normal. This happens when just listening to music and nothing else, or even just browsing the internet. The screeching is coming from my speakers, and I have tried different speakers so i know its not them.

Also at times it says my CPU is at 1.6ghz when its actually 3.4
Plus in my bios it says my RAM is at 1333 not 1600.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Faulty ram? Faulty Mobo? Faulty CPU? or even PSU?

Thanks for your time people! :)

Caporegime
Don't disable SpeedStep then.

ASRock motherboards usually have a number of pre-overclocked settings you can try if you don't want to do it yourself.

In the BIOS enable the XMP profile for your RAM and set the voltage manually. Try 1.55V to start with.

Associate
OP
Don't disable SpeedStep then.

ASRock motherboards usually have a number of pre-overclocked settings you can try if you don't want to do it yourself.

In the BIOS enable the XMP profile for your RAM and set the voltage manually. Try 1.55V to start with.

and then go higher or lower if nothing changes?

Caporegime
If you don't get stability at 1.55V then you'll have to increase it a touch but try not to go over 1.60V.

If it's fine at 1.55V you can leave it at that or try for lower if you wish.

Get your RAM sorted first and see if you still have any problems.

Sometimes lower is better: Replacement Ram Faulty? - Unlucky?

Associate
OP
If you don't get stability at 1.55V then you'll have to increase it a touch but try not to go over 1.60V.

If it's fine at 1.55V you can leave it at that or try for lower if you wish.

Get your RAM sorted first and see if you still have any problems.

Sometimes lower is better: Replacement Ram Faulty? - Unlucky?

Lowering it has made it problem worse and more frequent, is there anything else i should be trying to alter?

Associate
OP
How's the PC behaving for other uses such as gaming video encoding etc?

When watching video it'll freeze for like 2 seconds then quickly play the 2 seconds of the video i missed without of sync audio until the video catches up.

Stutter and screech happens in gaming too making it impossible to play fps.

Since i messed with the settings it has gotten a lot worse, even tho ive changed everything back to auto like it was before

Soldato
Sounds a lot like DPC latency spikes, which are often caused by dodgy drivers. This tool can help you try and work out if this is the issue:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Firstly I'd set EVERYTHING back to stock, and then try eliminating drivers to see if you can find an iffy culprit...beta driver, or perhaps even a driver thats just not playing nicely/conflicting.

Obviously it could be hardware as well :)

Caporegime
The stuttering still happens even if the pc is muted.

I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Unless the audio is actually disabled then the sound is likely still being processed it's just that no signal is being sent to the speakers.

Update the drivers and it'll either fix the problem or if it doesn't then it'll rule out audio drivers as the problem.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Unless the audio is actually disabled then the sound is likely still being processed it's just that no signal is being sent to the speakers.

Update the drivers and it'll either fix the problem or if it doesn't then it'll rule out audio drivers as the problem.

I can notice my mouse lagging even when no sound is being played at all.
But ill update the drivers anyways

Back
Top Bottom