Swapping hard wired appliance for a socket.

Soldato
Apologies if this is a stupid question but other than swapping a broken plug I have not really touched mains before...

I have a built in fridge that is hard wired into the wall, the wire is coming from a box with a plate on which I guess is to provide strain relief. It appears to be the same size as a regular single plug socket would be.

I want to put my tumble dryer there instead. Is it simply a case of removing the plate from that box and fitting a plug socket instead? I had to have this done for my washing mashine and oven and it cost £130 a time! I loathe to pay that again if it really is this simple.

Soldato
OP
Yea 2006 house so that checks out :)

I did consider that too actually and the warranty has just run out on the dryer so I have no issue doing that, just wanted to future proof it a little.

And was also concerned about the power draw of the dryer but from what I can see it is bundled with the washing machine and dishwasher so I am assuming can handle the current from the dryer.

Soldato
OP
If it's been done properly there should be a switched fused spur above the counter. But yes there needs to be a fuse if you're removing the plug.
There is a block of switches above the counter for washing machine, dishwasher, cooker hood and fridge. The oven has its own seperate one that is massive. I plan to drag the fridge out later and take a better look at what I am up against.

Soldato
OP
Well I pulled it out today to order whatever I needed... It already has a fuse so I guess I can just cut the plug from the tumble dryer and wire it in?
Also I thought the wire looked a bit pinched so put my phone under to get a pic... Cowboys!!!

Back
Top Bottom