Swapping hard wired appliance for a socket.

Soldato
Apologies if this is a stupid question but other than swapping a broken plug I have not really touched mains before...

I have a built in fridge that is hard wired into the wall, the wire is coming from a box with a plate on which I guess is to provide strain relief. It appears to be the same size as a regular single plug socket would be.

I want to put my tumble dryer there instead. Is it simply a case of removing the plate from that box and fitting a plug socket instead? I had to have this done for my washing mashine and oven and it cost £130 a time! I loathe to pay that again if it really is this simple.

Assuming it's on the ring main, it should be fine.

Double check at the board what circuit it's on, then when you pull the plate off just check there's nothing wacky going on behind.

Kitchen fitters tend to do all sorts of wacky crap. Ideally you want either a single cable (indicating it's a spur) or two cables indicating it's part of a ring circuits or a radial.

Any more than that and I'd defer to one of the more learned members. :D

Soldato
It was popular about 20 years ago because at the time you only needed to RCD protect socket circuits but a dedicated kitchen appliance circuit with flex plates was ok.

If you're not planning to rearrange things in the near future the best approach would be to cut the plug off your tumble drier and wire it into the plate.

Soldato
OP
Yea 2006 house so that checks out :)

I did consider that too actually and the warranty has just run out on the dryer so I have no issue doing that, just wanted to future proof it a little.

And was also concerned about the power draw of the dryer but from what I can see it is bundled with the washing machine and dishwasher so I am assuming can handle the current from the dryer.

Soldato
Bare in mind, if you cut the plug off and you don’t have a fuseable socket, your appliance won’t be fused.

You can swap it over for a fused one (also a switched if you want) or stick an inline fuse in - cheapest and quickest. You can even use the fuse thats in the plug! Just head to a local wholesaler and pick one up.

A lot of kitchen depend on the makers/fitters there might not be enough physical room for the built in appliance to be able to be plugged in and inline with the doors of the cabinets so a lot get cut off, as they won’t move the socket - too many of them are lazy. :D

Soldato
instead of cutting the plug off the appliance, wouldn't it be better to put a socket on the end of the wire that's coming out of the wall?

I am not an electrician, mind...

Last edited:
Soldato
Bare in mind, if you cut the plug off and you don’t have a fuseable socket, your appliance won’t be fused.

You can swap it over for a fused one (also a switched if you want) or stick an inline fuse in - cheapest and quickest. You can even use the fuse thats in the plug! Just head to a local wholesaler and pick one up.

A lot of kitchen depend on the makers/fitters there might not be enough physical room for the built in appliance to be able to be plugged in and inline with the doors of the cabinets so a lot get cut off, as they won’t move the socket - too many of them are lazy. :D

If it's been done properly there should be a switched fused spur above the counter. But yes there needs to be a fuse if you're removing the plug.

Soldato
OP
If it's been done properly there should be a switched fused spur above the counter. But yes there needs to be a fuse if you're removing the plug.
There is a block of switches above the counter for washing machine, dishwasher, cooker hood and fridge. The oven has its own seperate one that is massive. I plan to drag the fridge out later and take a better look at what I am up against.

Associate
As long as there is enough room I would replace it with a socket to plug the applience in.

Probably invalidate the warrenty nowadays if you cut the molded plug off it.
But easy enough just to cut it off and wire it in. Wouldn't want to pay £130 to have it done.

Soldato
OP
Well I pulled it out today to order whatever I needed... It already has a fuse so I guess I can just cut the plug from the tumble dryer and wire it in?
Also I thought the wire looked a bit pinched so put my phone under to get a pic... Cowboys!!!

Associate
Back
Top Bottom